1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked windshield report: replacement in Wisconsin <ouch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MadDebSalsa, May 18, 2004.

1. MadDebSalsa

MadDebSalsa New Member

I know there is discussion elsewhere about windshield damage and the theoretical role of Prius aerodynamic design in promoting or preventing rocks, etc. hitting windshield.

This is one consumer/driver report on cracked windshield experience with the Prius. At a scant 3,000 miles on my Prius, I was startled to notice an 8 inch crack right in front of me on the driver's side. Don't remember hitting anything or hearing the damage happen. This was at Eastertime. In years of driving Toyota and other vehicles I've never had this happen, so I was a windshield care newbie. I wondered if it was just a badly manufactured or installed windshield. :?

When I brought it in to my dealer, they pointed out an "impact point" -- a tiny dent in the glass, almost like a pin hole. This starting spot for the crack was placed in the low driver's side corner of the windshield, where it is painted/tinted black. So it could not be seen from inside. Have no idea of when it happened. I guess the crack to "grew" to 8 inches quickly tho'.

My insurance co.'s 800 number had a special extension for glass repair.
    Initially they spoke optimistically of my having the repair done in my driveway by a mobile truck pronto. The insurance co. and the glass co. took a day or so to figure out that -- at least in the upper midwest -- no company had suitable replacements. Databases for warehouses had zilch. Windshield had to be ordered thru my local dealer from Toyota. It was pricey (about $450) and I had to pay the deductible.

This took about 10 days; I was called and booked the appt. The crack was 2 inches longer. When I arrived, a workman greeted me and apologized. He said that a special gasket was required to do the installation and that the dealer had failed to order it; in fact, the dealer did not know it was needed. The glass place (as of April) had installed only one Prius windshield and it was apparently a pre-'04 model. Who knows if this is the real reason for the delay? Wonder what story the dealer's parts dept. would tell.

Another week went by and then they said they had the gasket. Crack was 12-13 inches long.

At the appt. the glass installer was glad to have valet cards and was weirded out by the fob-as-key. Replacement took maybe 1.5 hours. The sides were secured by strange orange police-line-looking tape. I was told to leave the tape on for no more than 12 hours but told it was "paint friendly". The label on the tape said remove in 3 hours. (I did.)

Have had the new windshield about 2 weeks. Looks good, no problems.

Maybe my experience will help another Prius owner. I speculate that the need for Prius replacement parts outside California -- even for such a common item like a windshield -- will test the patience of owners for awhile yet. So will the inexperience of dealers, suppliers, etc.
    Bummer. :roll:

But my Salsa and I are very happy together. :D

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The aerodynamic effect works for bugs and very light objects. A rock with sufficient mass will penetrate the "wind" shield and strike the hood or the glass. I was one of those who posted this observation. On a trip to California, I had far fewer bugs on my windshield than other cars; an effect of the Prius's severly aft-canted windshield which follows a continuous line up from the front bumper, i.e. there is no angle between the windshield and the hood.
    The aerodynamic bug repellent effect doesn't work as well at city driving speeds and perhaps your rock was thrown up by a truck while you were driving slowly.
    I had a side window broken by a rock thrown up from a passing car or truck while my car was parked.

3. tara

tara New Member

Re: Cracked windshield report: replacement in Wisconsin <

So how is your replacement windshield doing now? I just got hit by a rock and will be getting it fixed soon.
    Tara

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a nasty star crack up at the "sun screen" portion, but it hasn't grown, so I've left it for now. Nice to have an idea on the procedure though.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

:| Looks like this is "cracked windshield" day... at least forum-wise.

I had my 04 windshield replaced last October (2004). Had a "double-stone-hit" which was not repairable. I insisted on Toyota-brand (OEM) which required a one-day order delay. The glass company recommended by my dealer mentioned that there was an "after market" (Pittsburg Plate I believe) available.

Overall cost was $734.15 of which I paid $100 deductable. The replacement required less than 30 minutes and the glass co. was able to preserve my license and inspection stickers. No rattles, leaks or other problems.

Tara, as I recall in another posting, your insurance company "requires" you to use an "after market" part. That might be worth discussing with your agent. State Farm here allowed me to specify OEM.

6. MadDebSalsa

MadDebSalsa New Member

Cracked windshield report: replacement in Wisconsin update

No problems with my replacement windshield after a year. Sounds like it might have been a good thing that only Toyota could supply the windshield last year. No question that it was good quality.

Best wishes from a formerly-cracked Prius
    owner!

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

Three years ago tomorrow, I had a windshield star crack repaired on 2001 Prius. It has not noticeably spread since then.

8. jimdaph

jimdaph New Member

One SUV did crack my windshield moments before I drove through a core of a thunderstorm with 1" hail. The hail probably spread my crack to 6". Had it repaired at a glass shop to halt any further spread. However, I won't have the windshield replaced until after the storm season here. Being in OK, there's a reasonable chance I'll incur more windshield damage from hail. I did hear from a friend that I will want to make sure the windshield is a factory model owing to the low e-coating. Have you heard that too?

regards,

Jim

9. Erick

Erick Member

Driving my Prius home from Houston to L.A. we got a star crack and it was just a little star for a week and then all of the sudden, it grew to 18 inches long! My car only had 1300 miles on it! The dealer wanted $850 to replace it. I am going to "Glass Doctor" a mobile repair guy who is coming by my work today to fix it. It's OEM and has a full lifetime warrant for $400 installed. We'll see how that goes!

10. tara

tara New Member

I still haven't had my star crack repaired. It hasn't grown...yet. How did your repair go? Is there a difference with the glass they installed and what Toyota makes. I am curious about the Low E thing mentioned before. Does anybody else know anything about non-toyota Prius windshield differences. If I can show that they are not the same maybe I can talk my insurance into replacing with Toyota part instead. You would think that they wouldn't make a big deal about it since I have a $500 deductible and have to pay for most of this myself anyway. Any one know of any way I could make the Sweeper truck that threw the rock pay. My insurance doesn't think they have any liability. Well thanks ahead of time for any help you can offer.
    Tara

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Tara up here the main company for star burst repair is called Novus, what they do is put a vacuum pump on the burst and apply a strong vacumm to it and then inject a clear UV hardening acrylic into the star burst and the removal of the low pressure pulls the acrylic into all the small cracks in the glass then it is hardened with a UV lamp and then planed to the surface of the windshield and your done. Here the insurance companies pay for this if it is a small burst instead of recommending a complete replacement. I've had this done and for the most part it's invisible.

12. Erick

Erick Member

The install went very well. The windshield is a direct OEM and is the same piece Toyota would have used had I done it at the dealership. They did the repair at my home in 40 minutes and all is well. I wish I would have called them earlier to have the star fixed instead of waiting until I need the whole thing replaced...