1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracks in tail light, repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by czhuang, Jan 7, 2018.

1. czhuang

czhuang New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello everyone! I have a used 2012 Prius c and this morning I noticed some small, thin cracks around the exterior of one of my tail light covers. There's three about the length of a quarter on the plastic part and you can see them but not feel them. There's a fourth one on the silver side part, underneath the plastic exterior I think.

I'm a total newbie, so I'm wondering whether or not I should be concerned about these small cracks at all, and if it needs to be repaired/replaced? The cracks happened because I was trying to change a tail light bulb that burn out and DIY isn't really an option because I live in a super frigid area. I'm concerned about water getting in as we get a lot of snow as well.

Thanks so much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

you could try some silicone and see how that works. keep an eye on them for moisture inside.

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on the nature of the crack. Is it hairline kinda crank?

If the crack is so severe, you need to replace them, because you might have to be replacing the taillight bulbs now and then, because they'd keep corroding and ...

Can post a picture or so?