1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracks on OEM Yokohama tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by quantumy, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_20180515_185735.jpg IMG_20180515_185728.jpg

Noticed these cracks on my OEM tires today. Is this dry rot and/or of concern? Is it normal for LRR? Looks like some of the tread has flaked off, but I don't see any side wall cracks. I did the penny test immediately after driving (still warm) and on top of the tread bar, it's right under Lincoln's hair line. Tires are OEM, 30k, 4 years. Regularly rotated.

I was thinking about new tires anyway and wanted to get something quieter if anyone has any recommendations. I wasn't sure if new tires in general would be quieter. Mpg doesn't matter too much to me since I'm only 5k mi per year. I'd be looking for all seasons.

Any input would be much appreciated!

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You’re here in So Cal. Unless you need to go somewhere there is snow or severe rain, can wait until the wear bars show. Then legally they need to be changed.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I don't see the cracks. I see wear normal for the age. There may be some -cuts- on the tread, probably from rocks.

quantumy and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're ok, for another year or two.

5. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, peeps! I guess I didn't know the proper term but it definitely does look like cuts on the tread. There's some very tiny cracks in between the treads, probably normal wear (not dry rot level).

Mendel Leisk likes this.