1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Craigslist ad advice please.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jules083, Jul 11, 2016.

1. jules083

jules083 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found this on Craigslist, going to look at it now. Any ideas what's wrong? I'm leaving shortly to go look at it, should be there in about 3 hours.

He (she?) texted me again and said 'I cleared an abs code for the acc sensor and all the lights turned off yesterday' in regard to the warning lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i expected the next line to be "oh, and then there's the stubborn stench of death..."

don't take the poster's word on the HV battery. if you have a code scanner, bring it. "codes cleared" seems fishy. take it for a test-drive, and push the car hard. install uber on your phone, incase you need a ride back to your car.

bisco likes this.
  3. jules083

jules083 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How would I know the HV battery is going bad? If it's going bad I'm not against replacing it, only $1400. Id have $2400 in the car at that point.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sounds like the brake/abs/skid control might be out. That might be solved with a $40 used ECU or it could be the brake accumulator is going out ($$$$) which is not a DIY repair for most folks. Car is throwing codes, so codes need to be read to get a better understanding.

Read this FAQ: Texas Prius Battery Replacement

aaroncv3 likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you want it for?
    Looks like the seller is promoting it as nearly a parts vehicle.

The way the seller is promoting it? I certainly wouldn't be investing into it as a vehicle I had much hope of driving very long without significant investment. The red flags are "Has definitely seen better days" and referring to it as a Hog...

And the endorsement of the HV battery isn't promoted as being anything but it's still working.
    So for $1000 you get an HV battery that hasn't yet failed?

I wouldn't look at this any more seriously than as a potential parts vehicle, and even then, my interest would be nearly non-existent.

aaroncv3 likes this.
  6. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a code reader can tell you. and pushing the car hard may throw codes faster than standard prius driving. a failing battery will get low mileage. a good battery will have plenty of oomph.

if battery was the only thing wrong, it might be worth it, but it sounds like other issues would make this a no-go for me. i would take the advice of others that have replied.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! if you have to ask? this isn't the prius for you.

strawbrad and aaroncv3 like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Also if the Ohio market is similar to my local one, it's probably all ready been snatched up by a prius/hybrid rebuilder.