1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crank up the Press - Another Tesla Fire

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Your "safety" margins are shrinking.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering the elapsed time, I think it is holding steady.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand. Didn't you like trollbaits link? Here are a couple of other ones.

Tesla Fires and Firestorms: Let's Breathe and Review Some Car Fire Math - Slashdot
    Tesla Fires: What We Know, And What We Need To Find Out (Page 2)

Now we have 4 fires, and a hundred million miles from december 2012 through october 2013. I would guess that in November 2013-today there have been more 33 million more miles driven, remember those first months there were not many cars. 1 more fire means the rate decreased. It is the statistics of small number though.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    #MuskMath? LOL. It's the statistics of self-interest.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is a small sample size for Tesla car fires, but it looks like at worse they aren't any more likely to catch fire than a liquid fuel car.

Looking back though, I don't remember any big promise that electric cars would mean no more car fires.

Air_Boss likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How about you show us the evidence that Tesla cars are more likely to catch fire than a gasoline one then?

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Adjusted for usage, fleet age and maintenance? No brainer.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the real statistics don't look good for toyota if Tesla's are bad.

Tesla, mailed people a new plug. Toyota made 7.5 million customers bring their cars in to change hardware. Tesla no serious injuries. Toyota, many deaths from fires a year. By the way no major injuries from the toyota plug-in either, only their gas only car.

What kind of statistics make plug-in's more dangerous than gas only cars? False ones.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

And haven't.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

So you're just making stuff up, conflating "plug-in" with "all Toyotas" to make your point? Good one.

11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we are now on the third gen of of the prius, and less than a week ago we have 1.9 million cars being recalled..... one would think on the third generation of a vehicle there would be a lot fewer problems...but here we are... how many recalls has the prius had that are for a pretty significant life/safety issue, and its barely a blip on the radar screen for anyone but us...

but for some reason the press is hell bent on finding fault with the tesla... A vehicle which has caught fire half a dozen times out of the 22000 built... .02% of tesla's built have been affected.... you have better chance of choking and dying on on a piece of food at dinner tonight than the tesla has of burning....

Of course with any first generation product one should expect problems.....why do so many people not buy the first year of a new product? They wait for the bugs to to get ironed out...

honestly this seem like more of witch hunt with people out to get Tesla...Why.....they aren't part of the "family"

Don't get me wrong... IF there is a defect it should be found and it will be found. Lets not dip the tesla in tar and feathers just yet....

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I didn't make anything up.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/toyota-recalls-2-5-million-vehicles-including-1-million-camrys-for-fire-hazard/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
    Toyota recall of 7.5 million autos may slow its rebound in U.S. - Los Angeles Times

I could also do similar recall stories for ford or any other major automaker. IT simply is false that plug-ins have a greater statisical risk of fires to people, the statistics say they have less, especially when comparing like accidents and injury and death. Now with any small statistics someone could make one that does cause damage before recalls like the pinto, but even the pinto's design flaw
    Toyota Fire Probe Expanded To 1.4 Million Cars And SUVs

Note, none of those 161 fire complaints had anything to do with accidents that 3 of the 4 tesla complaints involved. It is quite likely all 3 of those crashes would have involved injury in a less safe car, but not in the tesla. We should know soon what went wrong in the torronto tesla fire.

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, you are making stuff up. We're talking Tesla fire propensity, not "plug-ins".

And the "more safe than" is pure and utter self-serving Musk-shyte.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is that easy, then show it.

I'm waiting ...

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Why wait. Get your brain in gear.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take that as an admission that you won't or can't do it, and are just blowing smoke.

17. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A well-reasoned POV, given the average American car is now 11.4 years old.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Air, if you have information about the age of vehicles involved in vehicle fires, please do share it.
    The available statistics I have seen don't split it out that way.

I do agree with you that it would make sense fewer fires happen in newer cars. So any statistics you have on that would be helpful.

Otherwise we are left guessing. And based on recent fire risk recalls of fairly new vehicles, and this one, Axis Of Oversteer: 991 GT3s are so hot they are catching on fire. , from Porsche of brand new cars seems to indicate that fires in new cars do happen.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I offered you the statistics for tesla S 4 fires, approximately 135 million miles, 2 bad crashes, 1 hit on road debris, 0 major injuries, 0 deaths. No making things up. But the media campaign is against plug-ins.

On tesla alone that is about 1 fire every 33 million miles, 0 injuries.

This contrasts with 1 fire every 20 million miles for ice cars. The latest big recall was by toyota 7.5 million cars world wide because of faulty elcectronics in ice cars. Read the statistics. Nothing made up on my part.
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v13i11.pdf
    Believe what you want. I provided the sources. Do you have ones that say gasoline only cars are less fireprone than teslas? Or are you just saying it because some idiots in the media told you so, and hid the real statistics.

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1:33M for new Teslas and 1:20M for average 11.4 year old vehicles that have likely not been maintained since they were in warranty. I'll take that math and suggest your Tesla is deficient by design.