1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crank up the Press - Another Tesla Fire

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You're done all right. The issue is lithium cells. Specifically the lithium content of the cells.

And oh, wait for the latest Air France inflight lithium cell incident to further restrict carriage of spare batteries.

Happy flying.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the ultra-mini, gasoline powered generator my friend is developing, you won't have to worry about your smart phone battery size on the plane. This generator, and a 4oz sealed container of fuel, will keep you playing Angry Candy Bird Crush for the longest of flights.

austingreen likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think one will even be able to get on a plane carrying 4oz. of fuel, and they might balk or question the generator.

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And thus the silliness of claiming the Tesla or any EV is dangerous because there are limits on lithium batteries allowed on a plane, when the gasoline in our accepted safe cars isn't allowed at all.

Zythryn and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So Air_Boss, what are your thoughts after a year?

Edit-------
    Some data points...

There was a high speed crash of a stolen Model S. After striking multiple cars at high speed and then splitting the car by striking a reinforced steel pole, there was a fire.
    The driver survived the initial impact although he died later.
    Experts were very surprised he survived the initial impact.

Stolen Tesla’s Fatality-Free L.A. Crash Surprises Experts - Bloomberg Business

A second accident resulting in a death happened when a Tesla went 300 feet off a cliff.
    Tesla driver found dead after crash off Highway 1 in Sonoma County - San Jose Mercury News

The Model S worldwide fleet has over 750 Million miles on it.

#145 Zythryn, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Tracksyde, fuzzy1, ftl and 1 other person like this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seems to be having trouble keeping the buzz alive, no? Great quarter in China, BTW.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So in regards to safety, which is what the thread was about, and your suggestion to revisit the thread in a year, you have no response?

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No news is good news and no good news isn't good news.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So let's review and update.

Model S vehicles have been involved in 6 fires, and have led to 2 deaths so far. All of which were caused by accidents, some involving 300 foot cliffs or 100 mph chases.

They also have over 750 million miles driven, giving a worldwide rate of 1 fire per 125,000,000 miles driven and one death per 375,000,000 miles driven.

The Model S continues to recieve the highest safety rating possible from the NHSTA.
    And has issued no recalls of Tesla vehicles for any fire related incidents or potential fire hazards.

Tesla has also added a suite of accident avoidance abilities, which I was hoping they would. Including active cruise control, Lane keep assist, Braking assist, etc.

NHTSA has issued a fire hazard related recall for a number of the Prius this last year.
    Toyota Recalls 57,000 Avalon, Prius Vehicles For Fire Risk, Airbag Deployment Issues – Consumerist

At this point in time, I think I will conclude that Air_Boss's position is completely unsupported by the facts and he was in fact, in error.

#149 Zythryn, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    ftl, Trollbait and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After adding floorpan armor and increasing ride height, and while continuing to miss delivery targets and in the next big thing, sales targets. And while stringing states along, harvesting subsidies for battery and test facilities. Yeah, it's a buy at astronomical p/e, no, make that infinite p/e. It's on fire.

11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Drove from Long Island to Delaware on Friday.

Not a Tesla to be found on the road, or at the Tesla-branded range anxiety attenuation station on I-95 we chose for its nearby super-cheap gas and Starbucks.

Drove back to Long Island during the 2" per hour heavy snow on Saturday and the Prius v with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires pulled and tracked like a train from local streets covered with 4" of snow to I-95 covered with 3-4" of washboard ice and freezing slush to the LI Expressway covered with 3"of snow. Saw numerous jackknifed tractor-trailers, off-highway excursions, one roll-over and tire spinning and stopped vehicles climbing the Delaware Memorial Bridge and lurid slides down the other side into New Jersey. First long distance trip in heavy snow with the Prius v and it handled like a champ, but I would not have tried the drive if it had the LRR all-season tires mounted.

Once again, no Teslas spotted.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They must all be over here.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many $60k+ luxury sedans with any drive train did you see?
    How many Volts, i3's and Leafs? PPI's too, but they are hard to differentiate from the plain old non-plug model.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    One Maserati Q-porte, spinning tires and sliding all over I-95. Should have been put out of its misery, parked, and called an uber.

One i3, parked behind a snow berm, growing with each pass of the plow.

Several Prii.

No Teslas...

#154 Air_Boss, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015