1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crankcase fluid&filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Manhal K Alrashdan, Oct 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Manhal K Alrashdan

Manhal K Alrashdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have about 135k on my Prius 2010. I have consulted some maintenance schedule and it advised for replacing crankcase oil filter and changing the fluid . Had anyone done that and is it necessary . Is it a difficult job or is it a DIY ?

2. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless i'm misunderstanding you, your regular oil and filter change every 10,000 miles is your crankcase oil and filter change.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. what else might have a filter?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An engine oil and filter change is fairly easy, complicated a little by the plastic panel under the engine, and a somewhat unusual filter.

For the filter you should research the filter socket, get the right size and sturdy. It's 14 face, and 64.5 mm inside face to face. Torque is 18 lb/ft.

The oil pan drain bolt requires a 14 mm socket. Dealerships have replacement washer, which you should use, but you could skip in a pinch. Torque is 27 lb/ft.

Personally I take the complete plastic under panel off at each oil change, but in a pinch you could just remove the few fasteners at the oil pan, and flex it back. It seems to me though, this leads to it's breaking, after a few oil changes.

You'll need 4.2 liters of oil when changing both the oil and filter, to put oil level at the upper dipstick mark. I'd recommend to pour in that amount (after a thorough drain), and resist the urge to add more, if the dipstick shows low. The dipstick is hard to read, especially right after oil change. Leave it a day or two before serious checking.

In Canada the engine oil change interval is even shorter than the States: 8000 km's or 6 months, whichever comes first. I think everyone's a little incredulous: the oil on your car should have been changed many times by now. If you've just acquired this car, it likely has had the engine oil changed many times.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    lar.smith42 likes this.