1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crankshaft Main Bearing Installation question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HaYon Prius driver, Apr 30, 2020.

1. HaYon Prius driver

HaYon Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone I am kinda rebuilding my 2013 Prius 2 1.8L Engine. I am confused about this procedure below that I got from TIS. I figured when installing the bearings you would want them centered. The width of the bearing is 0.672 and the width of the cylinder bearing cup is 0.772. That means the difference is 0.1. I don't know why they would want me to only measure 1 side and the max being .0394? that would mean the opposite side would have 0.0606 space and the bearing is not centered in the cup. The only reason I can think of is because one side of the cup is tapered see pics below. So maybe I should be measuring from the side without the taper? All the other bearings say to measure both sides A and sides B and subtract them and the difference should be within a certain amount to center the bearings. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.44.27 PM.png 20200430_183940.jpg 20200430_183614.jpg

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look at the diagram that has "A" enlarged. It has arrows that show where the measurement is to be taken. Looks to me like they exclude the tapered area and want the bearing centered in the non-tapered area...

HaYon Prius driver likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be inclined to go according to the hint they give: the block's oil groove should be visible, and appear centered, in the bearing oil holes. If you do that, and then measure dimension A and it's within ½ to 1 mm, you're good to go.

HaYon Prius driver likes this.
  4. HaYon Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes Thank you! I guess I didn't notice the picture does look like it excludes the tapered area! I think your right it's just hard to do that with a vernier caliper when you measuring from one flat surface to the other. I will try and see if i can measure just the tapered area and then just subtract that from the overall measurement.

5. HaYon Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks ChapmanF but the blocks oil hole is quite a bit bigger than the bearing oil hole so it appears centered even if it is slightly off center in the cup. That's why I was questioning but I think TMR-JWAP has caught what I didn't see in the picture. I will try that and let you all know if I have any more questions.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another thing to keep in mind: where they have given the distance as ½ to 1 mm, that is a range of half a millimeter on what's acceptable, they're not asking you (for that part, anyway) to do rocket science. :)