1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crappy gas station rant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alexstarfire, May 11, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Ok, I just have to rant about this cause it pissed me off so much when I went to fill up today. It all started when I filled up my last tank, about 2 weeks ago. I was starting to run low and was looking for a Shell station. As I was going to where I knew there was one I found one that I just forgot about, it's across from a Kroger's. Anyways, last time I was there the pumps weren't working right, and that was about 2-3 weeks before my last tank. I figured they must have been fixed. WRONG. The worst part was that they worked a little bit, thinking back on it now. I couldn't just set the pump and go cause it would just click off, though I don't know why, so I had to set there and hold it about half way. It took forever, but that's not even the worst part. The worst part was that it got to about 8 gallons and just shut off. I know from the MFD that I should have put in AT LEAST 9 gallons, probably more. So I sat there for a few minutes just clicking it and clicking it until it got more than 9 gallons. I knew it wasn't right but I figured it would average out on the next tank.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

I filled up just an hour or so ago and it took me 11.084 gallons to fill up and I went like 15 miles more on this tank, 589 miles, than the last one. MFD says 61.4 MPG, so it should be about 9.593 gallons, closer to 10 since the MFD is off by 2-3 MPG. So I get like 53.14 MPG this tank and last tank was 59.12 MPG. I thought the 59.12 MPG was pretty close since I had like 60-61 MPG on the MFD. I know that the stupid MFD isn't gonna be 8+ MPG off no matter what I do, unless I piss in the tank or something. Average for the two tanks is like 55.x something, yet on both tanks my MFD was over 60 MPG. It's never been more than 4 MPG off, and only about 2.5 off with Shell gas.

This really pisses me off cause these were two amazing tanks I've had that have turned to crap cause of that f*cking pump. I hope my next tank gets much better MPG than the MFD or something.

Ok, I'm done with that now. Think I could have gotten water in the last tank or something? Cause if you all think I did then I'm gonna go b!tch to that other gas station.

EDIT: BTW, I do have an '02 Prius, so I'm not sure about the bladder. I assume I have one but IDK for sure. Anyways, the temp was about the same when I filled up both tanks.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Isn't there something more important in life to worry or rant about? :mellow:

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The amount of fuel you put in (or jam in) to the tank has absolutely no effect on your fuel economy.

All it does is screw up your calculations, which can never be as accurate as the MFD. The MFD calculates based on precise measurements of fuel going through the injectors.

Relax. Your fuel economy has not changed at all. If you don't like their gas pumps, go elsewhere. Your blood pressure will thank you.

4. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ May 11 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]439936[/snapback]</div>
    Not recommended and could void warranty. AND WORSE, if you get caught, people will label you as an autophile.

5. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ May 11 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]439947[/snapback]</div>
    Like my slow nice person internet, or our crappy apartment. There sure are, but I figured this was more practical.

BTW, I know my FE hasn't changed, that's not my point. My two points were that if I got watered down gas off of that bad pump, and the fact that my MPG is actually the worst it's been. I did about the same in winter that I did on this tank, and I've gotten better at hypermiling since then.

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ May 11 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]439947[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts exactly. Get a life.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had the MFD read as much as 20% high compared to my calculations but usually off 2% or less. Always disappointing as I'm trying to break 50mpg.

Someone needs to design & build a flex fuel vehicle that will run on urine--even if it is P15.

Reminds me of a saying found on campus (guess where) freshman year. "When sh!t becomes of value the poor will be born without a$$holes."

I think it's time for you to pop the top on a cold one.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 11 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]439956[/snapback]</div>
    That's two great posts for the day. lol

Yeah, I'd just stick the MFD readings. I got tired of being disapointed with making all kinds of calculations. Life is much easier and my wallet really doesn't notice the difference between 3-4mpg. :)

9. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Next time try holding the hose up over vour head while you pump with the other.

Works everytime for me.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 11 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]439956[/snapback]</div>
    ...and if you are not very careful, you can get delicate body parts stuck in the filler hole. :lol:

Tom

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< This reminds me a bit of the Classic Vaudeville 'Doctor & Patient' sketch where the 'patient' raises his arms above his head and complains "Doctor, when I to this, it hurts.!!" The 'Doctor' replies; "Don't do that.!!"

Go to another station.

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ May 11 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]439969[/snapback]</div>
    You would know if you got water in the fuel. Your engine would run rough or stall. Water doesn't mix well enough with fuel to simply lower your MPG. It's obvious when the engine suddenly tries to burn a slug of water---it doesn't burn at all.

Your main problem is that their pump shuts off too aggressively when there's any back-pressure on the hose. This has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel, the price of the fuel, or the speed of your internet connection. Leave those rants at home.

I've encountered several pumps like this, so I know which ones to avoid at the handful of places at which I usually buy fuel. When I go to an unknown station, I take my chances. I suspect the pump shut-off problem with the Prius is caused by the slight back-pressure that occurs as the gasoline tries to expand the tank bladder. The bladder has some rigidity and weight, so it provides some resistance to the fuel pressure.

Use the slowest pump setting you can; this usually reduces or eliminates the shutoff problem. You're almost always pumping less than ten gallons---how long can this take? Use the time to clean your windshield.

No station will bother to check or adjust their pumps till lots of people complain, and that almost never happens. I assume the pumps are periodically tested and adjusted, maybe once or twice a year.

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ May 11 2007, 07:54 AM) [snapback]439969[/snapback]</div>
    Report them to the "Bureau of Weights and Measures" ... there should be a seal on every gas pump in your state (if your state does this) with the department's information. Here in California, its done by the county, I think. They may be more strict here in SoCal, with the air quality laws, but I rarely see defective pumps here.

14. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [said in a 60's hippy voice]

"Just relax man..."

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(badaka @ May 11 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]440336[/snapback]</div>
    Are you implying they have two heads?

16. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ May 11 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]439936[/snapback]</div>
    Hehe. I have this problem too. Sometimes I forget where the
    gas stations are.

That never happened in my last vehicle.

Instead of being upset about that station, just be thankful
    that you don't have to go there near as often now.