1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crash and now warning lights :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acarapella, Feb 13, 2020.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all

I am new here. This is my fourth hybrid Toyota but my first Prius. Had two Camry’s and an Avalon (the Avalon was a company car in my name I’ve since sold in pursuit of debt freedom)

So tonight I ended up on ice and was thankfully able to aim the car to a “safe” place to go off the road - in between a telephone pole and street sign - but the 6’ ditch wasn’t kind to the car. The bumper is smashed, the metal framing for the radiator(s) is bent but that’s all the damage. Nothing leaking.

I now have the red triangle, a circle with parentheses around it and an exclamation in the middle, VSC, and the airbag light (airbags did not deploy) this is obviously very saddening.

There was no check engine light but I found a “stored” p0303 misfire cylinder 3 that wasn’t there when I got the car less than 1,000 miles ago.

I can’t see any damage underneath. What I am hoping is that there is a way to reset these things. If push came to shove I could get a hold of Toyota TIS but I’ve been successful with Lexus and Toyota in the past with a paper clip and various sequences of actions to reset ABS VSC etc.

Please help :(

Attached Files:

2. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found the SRS code to be 31. Also got a crap load of codes having to do with lost communication with hybrid control unit and battery and such, they may have been the result of jumping pins 4 and 13 as well as 4 and 12 to try and reset SRS and VSC. I cleared the codes and EVERY light except SRS turned off but then came back on

this sucks :(

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You just need to read the codes to figure this out. With the full list of codes (and sub-codes) it's much easier to find the (common) cause.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That’s the thing. I’m getting no codes. I am going to see if I can fire up TIS today and see if that reveals any that the generic scanner doesn’t

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree with @valde3. Guessing is really hard. Reading codes is easy as long as it's a Prius capable code reader.

6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Generic readers are known to be problematic with the Prius, unless their protocols are specifically call out by the manufacturer. Otherwise all codes retrieved with them are suspect at best. If your car threw (!) light a DTC was recorded and stored, unless deleted.

7. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I am going to see if Toyota text stream reveals anything. I am super sketched out, because I got the lights to turn off, or at least some of them, and they came right back on. The only part of the car that smashed is the plastic bumper, so my fear is that some damage was done to the power train on impact. From the wheels getting jerked and such. It drove home fine though

8. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to know about generic readers… I have been thinking about purchasing one of the really high-end ones. Harbor freight, of all places, has one that gets very good reviews. It’s like $1200, but it can do anything including manufacturer specific, airbag, antilock brake… I wonder if one of those would do the trick? I do have a copy of text stream from back in the day, I would certainly expect that Toyotas on software would reveal the issue. I will report back later

9. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am very blessed to report that it was a fault in both the SRS and HV controllers, both pointing to the fact that they lost communication with eachother. I deleted the codes and have driven 20 trouble-free miles =)

the only damage is a small bend in the radiator cradle - not enough to damage anything nor enough to fuss with - and an obliterated bumper. The lower grill appears to be reusable!

jerrymildred and SFO like this.