1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

crash damage repair question(s)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by billnchristy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife got hit by a 88 ranger trying to go straight in a turn lane. The rear bumper was torn off the passenger side and the rear quarter panel is dented from door to mid fender. All the clips holding the bumper and internal fender are broken and the wheel is fairly scraped up.

We noticed that the quarter panel goes all the way to the mirror on the front door.

I have never had body damage repaired before, would this panel get replaced? The dent is probably 2" deep and about the size of...oh a Ranger bumper? Maybe basketball sized.

I was thinking of taking it to Toyota because the brakes seem a little touchy now too, wondering if the rotor got bent and since its back there near the batteries I want to make sure all is safe and sound. The rubber stopper on the hatch also broke off so I know the impact went deeper than the cosmetic damage.

I assume they would farm out the body work but it would be the place to start since the parts would need to come from there.

Anyways...complete newbie to insurance and collision repairs...tips are very welcome.

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would recommend going through your insurance to choose a bodyshop, and if a local Toyota Dealer is listed as recommended by your insurance, then use them. I base this on experience from a recent accident my wife had. We went with a recommended bodyshop (that was owned by the same company as a local Lexus Dealer), so we felt confident if there was something the Bodyshop could not accomplish, there would be a Lexus mechanic on the same payroll that could. Also, by choosing a bodyshop recommended by our insurance company, we received an unlimited mileage warranty on the work accomplished by the bodyshop! The bodyshop gave the same warranty, but it's nice to know that if they were to go away, the insurance company would still back the repairs.

3. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah our dealer is listed on their list.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :(

Definitely go to the dealer. The quarter panel is spot welded in various places. Those welds on the old one will be drilled out and a new quarter panel will be welded on. Then you have paint, the bumper etc. The total bill will be a few - several thousand.

Attached Files:

5. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I highlighted the damaged areas on your pic.

Attached Files:

6. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Estimate is just over 3k before digging into panels and the suspension.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, that's a lot.

8. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    18.5hrs to cut away quarter panel, install, and blend.

Guy estimated 21hrs of body labor and 11hrs of paint labor.

9. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

10. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt