1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

crash procedure question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Agape, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yesterday afternoon we were driving with my wife and the driver behind us suddenly crashed on us (really loud bang and then pain in the back and neck/head).
    The young driver came to the side of our car and admitted that was with a mobile in his hand during the driving and then confused brake with accelerator.
    Wife called an ambulance and we were transported to hospital to do x-ray's: spine and the neck. over 12 hours in the hospital, released today.

Police called and said that car was transported by recovery company to their yard.

Any advice, what's next?

Should I call police to ask his insurance details or call my insurance company? Should we leave the car where it is now or should we ask to transport it to our home?

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope you and your wife are ok. Here in America, the procedure is to contact both your insurance company and the police. I assume that by now you or the police have the villain's license and insurance information. Because you were hit from behind, the fault is clearly with the other driver, whether he was using his phone or not. If you're in another country, laws ,ay be different, but that's how it is here.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :(

Insurance will have to estimate whether the car can be repaired, or declared a complete loss. In the meantime, you should be able to visit it to collect your things. Take pictures too.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On Top Gear they're always making fun about how European 'Rozzers' have to fill out 30 'health & safety' forms for an accident and it takes them 12 hours to clear a small 2-car accident and that they take you to the hospital if you have a headache. Obviously they may be exaggerating a little but there is no denying that there could be differences in insurance and police procedure between U.S. and Europe.

2 questions:
    is the car drivable??
    do you have free car rental in your policy??

first call the police and get the accident report number, then phone your insurance agent and s/he will help guide you through the process, that's what they get paid to do.

5. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Rebound
    @seilerts
    @cnschult

thanks all,

How can I determine whether vehicle recovery truck has towed my prius in a correct manner?
    Insurance company insisted to move car to their authorized location and I opposed it by saying that first they (the insurance company) needs to send assessor to the current location, to assess the damages and to confirm whether the car is not more damaged than during the accident.

I called assessors company today and the assessor told me that he know what he is doing and that the automatic cars can be towed up to 30mls/h.

Is his statement correct?

Anyway, I told him that my car can not be towed in standard way, he hang up on me. :mad:
    Then I called directly to the office and lodged a complaint.

Am I right here?

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are absolutely correct. The car MUST be on a flatbed. It cannot be towed with front wheels off the ground because of the damage to the rear. It cannot be towed with front wheels on the ground EVER.

7. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again seilierts,

the assessor is not aware of this, simply they don't have experience with Prius and hybrid technology.

I requested from Toyota Ireland to email me how to safely move the vehicle.

Will forward this to assessors, based on this information then they can assess if additional damage has been done.

Edit:
    Just get email from Toyota Ireland, Prius can only be towed with from wheels lifted.

Passed this to assessors - hope they will be smart enough to power on my car and see if car shows any red lights on the dash and if can be driven.

Attached Files:

8. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I traveled to storage, this is the place where my car has been towed after the accident.

I discovered that recovery person who work with recovery truck and towed my car most likely used incorrect technique. (I heard they said they used flat bed and pull).

To support my statement I have taken photograph showing orange lights on the dash. Any advice how to handle such situation?

Attached Files:

9. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spoke to insurance company, they saying that their liability is with rear end of vehicle and they said they are not responsible for additional damage during the tow.:mad: I opposed this with my word saying that if the crash didn't happen then the car wouldn't be towed (remoteness)

Recovery company when I spoke again insisted they used dolly (I believe this is a lie):mad:

How possible that suddenly those orange lights stays on on my dash, everything was perfectly fine with the car even after the crash. Car was mobile (I drove it from the road to the side of the road).

Bad luck that ambulance took us to hospital so quickly, otherwise I would prevent them from towing my car.

Question:

Is it possible to determine exact time and date when specific code has been logged into the prius memory? I believe there should be a log of error codes. Would it be accessible ?

10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is possible that the lights are due to low 12V power. You would need to have your Toyota dealer scan these codes and determine if it was caused by towing or not. You do not have the red triangle, therefore it is unlikely that the towing company damaged the transaxle.

11. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for these words,

as insurance plays the card that I will be responsible for any additional damage made during the tow (I opposed this), then as precaution I need to record timing etc. I wonder if I it does matter if toyota dealer sends engineer to scan the codes at current location where the car is stored, or if toyota dealer transports my car to their location for scanning codes there. - Does it matter?

Does this log of errors changes every time you power on the car or does the error code is being recorded and stays there in the ecu showing time and date of each of the log? - timing is important for me

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not aware of any date and timestamping. The only items that may be available are the number of starts and miles since the fault was recorded, as well as the freeze frame data that shows the conditions under which the fault occurred.

13. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agape - I think that you are over thinking it all. Get it to a dealer that you trust and let them interface with the insurance company to get the car repaired to the condition it was in before the accident. Being confrontational with the insurance assessor over each and every thing and calling the office is not going to help you in the long run - save the confrontation for when something is really wrong and you need it.

1 person likes this.