1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crashed my Prius on the first day with PICS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wiserone, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As Chris Farley used to say: "Son of a..."

2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you think the cost of auto insurance is too high, try not having insurance (and then have an "accident").

I've been driving for many, many years and have only been involved in a couple of accidents. My rates never increased because of being in an accident.

However people who habitually get into a lot of accidents seem to have higher rates. Maybe it is because they don't practice defensive driving, or are just plane reckless. (Hope you aren't in that category.)

Keith

3. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally had the adjuster take a look at the car.

I was shocked.

There is $5000 worth of damage!!!

At first, I thought the body shop were a bunch of thiefs and trashed my car for the inspecter, but then I popped in after the adjuster called me and the car is in the same condition I left it, thatnkfully.

Can anybody give me some hope that a shop specializing in high-end cars (lots of new Mercedes and BMW getting some very original custom work done there) would be able to match the blizzard pearl paint well?

If you are from NY city, the shop is Carrousel Collision in Coney Island.

This whole ordeal is such a huge source of stress for me. I just can't wait to get my car back. :( :( :( :(

4. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, just the bumper cover alone is @$800, much less the hood, fenders, under car panels and anything under the bumper cover.

5. windward

windward New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry To hear that, but I think the first think you should do when you see the truck start to reverse is to press your horn to warn the driver.

6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on your pics, I'm not surprised at the $5000 cost. Parts and labor are real expensive these days. And you have a number of parts that look at least slightly crushed--which quite quickly makes them roughly useless.
    Demand genuine Toyota replacement parts--they will fit better, and you should be able to get them in your special Blizzard Pearl. The insurance company may argue with you because off-brand aftermarket parts (if available) are usually cheaper.

I've never had an accident so quickly with my new car, but on our 2003 Subaru we got a dinged windshield the day after we got it (sealed, so insurance waived the deductible) and on our 1985 Volvo, we got a big cracked windshield within 3 weeks (no sealing possible--had to eat the deductible), both times we think from trucks kicking up gravel.

I guess that today you are, in the immortal words of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, both a Sadderandwiserone.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it's was > Cdn$2,000 damage to our 1-month old 2000 Corolla when a Jeep Grand Cherokee driver, talking on his cellphone, backed into the car and caused damaged to the hood and bumper (headlights were not cracked, they were just moved out of place).

8. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't understand. I thought the insuance are paying for it so why would you care so much how much it cost?

9. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought the body shop damaged my car intentionally so they could get more money. I check to make sure at the shop, and it wasn't anymore damaged than I thought it was.

Some parts are already in. Unfortunatly, they do not come painted. Everything is going to be genuine toyota parts.

Anybody have any experience with a body shop accuratly matching the blizzard pearl paint?