1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crasher parts to convert to pip

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Mr.Electric, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm curious what everyone thinks of this crazy idea. To be honest I'm just thinking this over and will most probably not do it.
    My co worker totaled his pip base model. I have a 2010 Prius 4. I have two auto lifts and a tech stream and a full mechanics tool set.
    Would it be possible to switch the pack , computers etc to make a pip out of a standard Prius.
    Let's assume the crashed car inverter and engine are crunched because it was a front end wreck. I also wonder if the rebuilt car could ever get the clean air sticker.

Bill the Engineer and drash like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just take his bumper with the clean air sticker and put the bumper onto your car.

rogerv, fotomoto and chesleyn like this.
  3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please see my post (My Recycled Pip) in the "Newbie" forum. While I am totally confidant it is possible I also know, for certain, that it is not financially wise! You'll need to transfer the entire wire harness, that alone means totally striping both vehicles. Without extensive research it's impossible to tell what major sub assemblies can come from your car if the corresponding part on the donor PIP is not usable. It may well be that the inverter, engine and transmission are unique to the PIP.

5. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also think the pip has a bigger and more powerful electric motor because it also can work as a ev

6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If anybody can do it you can. I would say it is possible because the parts are pretty much identical except for the computers, wiring, and battery pack. You'd have to lose the spare tire (your car I'm still talking about here) and do some undercarriage work to make room for the battery as well as find a place for the recharge port. Might need to upgrade the shocks.

7. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I believe the M2 electric motor is bigger on the PIP.

Besides Priusmpg's comment above, your comment also does not consider the many possible variables mentioned in Jerry's comment below.

I'd agree there are a many unanswer(able?) variables.

In theory, all these variables should be answerable.
    In PRACTICE... well just ask your dealer (or Toyota) a simple question about Entune or what alarms can or cannot be reset. The misinformation mentioned on this forum is rampant. I can't even imagine the stonewalling and or misinformation you'd get on this topic WHICH ACTUALLY IS COMPLICATED! ;)

8. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it would be cool if you ended up with a unique car. Like if the pip was not available with solar sunroof which mine has or if there was some other desirable outcome better than the alternative of looking for a dealer with a good price on a brand new pip.

9. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The only thing I can think of is like that company who sells battery extender kit for the gen 3 Prius. You could see what's in their kit

iPhone ?

10. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be more attractive if you did not need to swap the transaxle and the wire harness. The inverter and rear battery components and hv wiring would be a reasonable project on their own.

11. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr Electric

Rather than make your car into a PIP, why don't you use your car as a basis to REPAIR the PIP. Of course, this depends on how the PIP was totaled. It is a lot less hassle to get a new PIP, of course, especially if you can get a good price for your old Prius. And then you know what you have and it is marketable later.

12. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "The only thing I can think of is like that company who sells battery extender kit for the gen 3 Prius. You could see what's in their kit

These kits are very simple and DO NOT result in a well integrated, system, or any thing like the PIP's characteristics or performance. While the PIP is a very well integrated, meticulously engineered marvel!

13. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, I was just bringing up a cost effective solution

iPhone ?

14. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Rather than make your car into a PIP, why don't you use your car as a basis to REPAIR the PIP. Of course, this depends on how the PIP was totaled."

One needs to be aware that some "totaled" vehicles are retitled with "certificate of destruction" titles which make that VIN incapable of ever being licensed again anywhere.

15. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OP is located in California and vehicles that are considered a total loss by a insurance are issued a "salvage titile", which can be re-registered with a simple brake and lamp inspection for around $50.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is it possible? You're kidding, right? It's been going on for what ... maybe 10 years now? You're a day late & a doller short (ok maybe a bit more than a day ;) )

Plug-in Toyota Prius Hybrid - A123 Systems Hymotion Conversion Kit | Auto News Blog at InternetAutoGuide.com

There are literally dozens of companies that have turn hundreds & hundreds of non-plug in Pri into PiP's. So yes ... not only is it possible ... it's been done. A lot. Check out some of the other sub catagories here, as several Pri owners on PC have dont it. Do it !!

17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that you're dealing with 2 separate issues here.

Getting the new FrankenPip out of the hangar, and getting the kindhearted folks down at the DMV to believe that a vehicle with a G3's VIN has been successfully transmorgified into a Pip.

Depending on how badly the front got chewed up and how much the insurance company is going to want for the hulk, I'd say part it out and get a conversion kit.

If you're going to just bolt the bumper on your car?
    Attach a charger door and some of the Pip badges as well, or somebody will dime you out. ;)

Good Luck!!!
    Let us know if you try it!!!

Not the bumper swap....the Pip conversion.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You always seem to respond in the nicest way possible ;)

I'm pretty sure both MG1 and MG2 are the exact same on the PiP and non-PiP.

19. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too bad the wrecked PIP is in San Francisco. I would LOVE to get my hands on it for my project!

[​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

20. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the project! What about a Prius drivetrain in an old jaguar saloon or a 40's sedan.
    I've often wondered how the Prius drivetrain would feel stuck in a different car. Like a nice clean 2005 Cadillac Deville loaded with all options.