1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Craziest prius mind boggling hybrid system failure P0A80

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jakemathews, Aug 16, 2019.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a statement from Toyota saying it's a PERMANANT code and can't be erased.
    Perhaps you will be able to pass inspection.

2. Jakemathews

Jakemathews New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree if they are willing to find the issue and charge me for that certain repair then i would be fine with it but they keep saying “ we must complete these steps to find a solution” “we would start here first and then move forward” sounded like a sales strategy i got out of there quick as they already got me for alot with the first few things they tried. If i would have left the car there longer then the bill for repair would have been more then the car is worth.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you called or tried the 2 locations I mentioned above:whistle:?

They specialize in hybrids and should be more adept at helping;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they tell you "this will fix the car", and it doesn't. They either can't charge you, or have to re-intall the original GOOD part.
    That's how it works in Florida.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No; the whole point of permanent DTCs is to prevent vehicles from passing that shouldn’t. As I tried to explain in post #6, permanent doesn’t mean forever, just that the DTC can’t be cleared using a Techstream system or any other diagnostic tool. The ECU is programmed to clear the DTC itself after the problem is fixed, that is, when the detection conditions are no longer met after a certain amount of driving.

If the drive cycles have been done, and the DTC is still there—and the flash reprogramming described in Toyota bulletin T-SB-0100-12, “MIL ‘ON’ DTC P0A80 due to Dust or Debris in HV Battery Cooling Fan,” has also been done, as I believe @Jakemathews mentioned—then the focus should be on the detection conditions. In other words, why is the battery smart unit still reporting that the voltage difference is larger than standard?

Since this DTC requires drive cycles to reach a judgment, I’d imagine that the detection condition involves more than just a one-time measurement of the HV battery voltages. Perhaps the voltages are fine when the car is parked, but as it’s driven and the battery is charged and discharged, differences greater than the (undisclosed) threshold are being measured.

The Repair Manual lists the HV battery assembly—which could still be the problem, especially if it wasn’t new when installed—and the battery smart unit itself as possible trouble areas. There is also the wiring, of course, though if it were just a broken wire, I’d expect one or more of the “Hybrid Battery Voltage Sensor” DTCs might also appear. In post #11, I mentioned the Data List check of voltage differences called for in the Repair Manual procedure for P0A80. Has anyone done this, or tried replacing the battery smart unit?

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was only thinking that "might" allow him to pass. I don't know how they determine it.
    The abs light on my Van does that. Since it's not important to me, I don't care. I know how to
    drive in wet or sandy conditions, by NOT driving too fast for conditions....
    I only remember it activating when I was trying to get it to work in a parking lot, driving over the
    painted lines and slamming on the brakes. It's a weird feeling, that I don't like.

Seems to me that Toyota SHOULD know this and tell him to drive for shorter trips to get it to clear.
    Unless you need LONGER trips to clear it. But whatever, the SHOULD know. Of course we all know
    just because they SHOULD know, doesn't mean the DO know! (y)

7. SoySauce

SoySauce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was this issue resolved? Having the same problem.

8. Merv Himself

Merv Himself Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have you found a solution to this? I am having a similar problem. Was on the brink of getting new HV battery, but decided to pull the battery and test it with a multimeter. Every block is perfectly balanced with every other. All measure 16.0V or 16.1V, very little variance. Yet I've been getting that P0A80 code for weeks and the dealer would just LOVE to sell me a new battery. (of course)

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about their internal resistance figures, and their voltage deltas under heavy load or heavy charge?

Reading voltages on them while they're just sitting there doesn't tell you much.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Merv Himself

Merv Himself Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Permanant codes take like 1,500-2,000 miles to automatically erase. I had the same code after a replacement and it went away on its own.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.