1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazing banging noise but goes away when in reverse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mr. Potato, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How it all started, my car burns a little oil. My mom was driving it and it started to lose power and stutter without any banging. She drove a little bit and pulled over in a parking lot. Then she checked the oil and it was low so she added w20-50 conventional. She tried to start it and it started banging she called me again told me she had put 20-50, I went over there and changed the oil myself right away in the parking lot and put 0w-20 synthetic. Tried It was still banging and shaking the engine violently. Towed it home and left it for the night. It still makes a really loud banging noise but does go away when I go in reverse. (Please check videos) only 15 seconds each.

Things to note:
    1. The banging noise is significantly decreased when I drive in reverse.
    2. the last oil change before this one was not done by me but by a shop.
    3.The hybrid battery has been giving me trouble and the light comes on but I unplug the 12 volt and plug it back and it works fine, just squeezing that last bit of life out of it before I replace it. The code is “change battery pack”
    4. I did get a recall letter about two days ago for a software update that might burn the inverter, I doubt they’re related in any way.

1. Loud noise (without putting it in reverse)

2. When I put it in reverse

3. First start up in the next morning

Here’s my theory, the oil was low and it needed to be topped off but the extremely thick 20-50 oil is still stuck in the engine not letting the 0-20 flow properly.
    Thank you all very much!

amos likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... that engine is not happy about something? Is there a lack of power when accelerating?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat :).

Any dash lights or codes?

That’s pretty serious shaking like a cylinder misfire;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven’t tried accelerating with this noise, however the last time the car was working it started losing power it got pulled over and then tried starting it again and the noise started.

5. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you :) no dash lights except low tire pressure light, and “oil maintenance required” I was hoping to see oil pressure is low because that would just mean oil Is not getting into the engine and that’s the core cause and can simply change the oil pump. I do not own an OBD scanner do you think that would be helpful in this case? I can buy one.

6. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Reverse is the traction battery, not the ice.
    Stop starting it, get it to either a dealer or a good toyota mechanic.

On a side note, is Mrs. Potato in the ice?

7. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sent the video to a mechanic because I won’t be able to just tow it around shopping for mechanic he said he’ll just replace the engine with a 90k mike engine for 1,500 total (the one in it now has 170k but I don’t know if It’s toast or fixable)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it?

Have you heard of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) circuit needing cleaning, and has it ever been done?

Has the intake manifold ever been pulled off, cleaned?

It's very interesting how it smooths right out in Reverse. Good videos btw. The engine is still running in Reverse, but just idling, and motivation is via hybrid battery. Not sure what that proves, but food for thought. So it shakes like that in Park and Drive?

amos and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1.I have not heard of the EGR needing to be cleaned or what it is. Is that something I should investigate on??
    2.I have only owned the car for the last 20,30 tjousand miles it currently has 169k
    3. I have not taken the manifold off but I’ve only owned it for a short percentage of It’s life. It might be worth noting I bought it from an auction it wasn’t a salvage auction, a dealer was selling it because it had high miles I think? I know it wasn’t an insurance auction. I had to go with my friend who has a dealer license.
    4. It does shake in Park and more violently in drive not significantly more. As for reverse if you watch the video and listen closely you still hear the engine idling but It’s smooth running It’s not misfiring anymore. Could it be a transmission problem or a timing belt problem??? I’ve never adjusted the timing chain/belt. The only maintenance I’ve done is oil and brake jobs

amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where in FL are you located?

With the amount of shaking going on, you should have misfires for certain cylinders. Access to Techstream will help with the next steps.

If you have an old laptop, look on amazon for a J2534 mini vci dongle. That’s what I have and it comes in handy from time to time.

Good luck and happy thanksgiving (y).

amos likes this.
  11. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the west palm beach area, not much salt but a lot of rain. I believe there is a misfire I don’t know if It’s all cylinders or just some. I know you can peek through the spark plug holes to see if the walls are damaged, is that easy to do on this engine? To get the spark plugs out and all that ?
    For the j2534 I think I’ll invest in one, I can see it being great help. What next? Wait for it to arrive?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have Techstream, if you're interested. What part of Florida are you in?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    West palm beach

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And If you can't afford to go to an auto shop/enjoy repairing your own car...

Plugging in one of these Mini VCI J2534 OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Code Reader for Lexus Toyota Techstream New | eBay after you set up the software in a computer would be a good place to start...

And while you're waiting for that to arrive, I'd start taking apart, cleaning and inspecting the intake system. Back in the day cars with problems like this could simply have a vacume hose that's leaking, fallen off or clogged... But more complicated than that these days... You could also go deeper and learn how to clean the EGR valve and the rest of the intake system...

Also check to see if the car exhaust smells like radiator fluid (head gasket) in which case maybe no need to clean the intake system 'because you'll might wanna swap the engine. Could also be exhaust system too, to much oil can create problems in that regard.... Could be lotsa things really.

Once you have error codes or Techstream you'll better know where to focus you efforts..

15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We scoped a 1.8L Gen3 engine over the weekend. Here’s a link to the pics:

What did you do to ur Gen III Prius today????

For the Gen3, you’ll have to remove the windshield wiper cowling to gain access, but once that 15 minute activity is done, smooth sailing;).

Since the issues are on the engine side of the equation, you could always go to the local auto zone and see what their free scanner pulls. Their scanners can not pull hybrid specific data:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

amos and PriusCamper like this.
  16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm about 2 hours north of you. That's not helping you much. Sorry. Maybe go on craigslist
    and post an ad in the car section, yea, it's for SALES, buttttt.... :) and ask if anyone near you
    has techstream and are willing to help you out.

17. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ll wait on the one I ordered to arrive. I can see it being very helpful in the future, as for the software where do I get it from?

18. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ll go ahead and clean as much as I can should I try starting it after? Or wait for the dongle to arrive

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Software comes with the device... Lots of download options if not... Though problematic is getting the software to install and recgonize vehicle. So while you wait, Toyota truck forums and other online forums will offer plenty of study to make sure you're Techstreaming...

#19 PriusCamper, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll make the right decisions....