1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy, but great MPG...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GSW, Oct 23, 2012.

1. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I moved into a new home during the summer and was pleasantly surprised how the Prius liked the extra time on the interstate. My round trip is 33.5 miles now to work compared to 16 miles before I moved. My old in town mileage was 48-51 with hills in summer or winter. Now I'm getting an average of 54-56 mpg on a mostly level interstate highway. Tail winds have been a blessing and going home the other day I was a little over 70 mpg for a short time and driving to work against a southern wind and a little faster driving reduced the mileage down to 62 mpg. This car is crazy....o_O:)

Codyroo likes this.
  2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice. Flat roads and warm temps look like a winner for you.

3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep, air temps were lows in the 60s and highs in the lower 80s

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Warmer weather - Check
    Favorable winds - Check
    Flat terrain - Check
    Longer commute to reduce engine warm up penalty - Check
    Michelin Energy Saver Tires - Check

I imagine you could do even better if you could reduce your top speed a bit. What is your cruising speed? I'm going to guess 65+ mph. Are your values the computer displayed or hand calculated?

F8L likes this.
  5. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Codyroo, your right, 64-65 mph. One thing that I noticed was average speed, 51-52 which surprised me. Hand calculated at the pump and usually 1.5 - 2 mpg subtracted from a higher reading on the computer display.

6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An average speed of 51 - 52 tells me that you have lots of highway commuting and almost no slow traffic during your commute. Just the normal surface streets (1 - 2 miles) to the highway and (1 - 2 miles) from the highway to your house.

You could probably eek out another 3 mpg or so if you inflated your tires to max psi (~1 mpg) and slowed down to 61-62 mph (~2 mpg).

But even if you don't do either of those things, you are doing extremely well with your car!

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Flat roads and temps in the 70s (meaning no need for A/C), with mainly interstate travel, will make for great mileage in the Prius. In mine, which has 17" wheels, I figured about 60 for 60, meaning 60 MPG when driving 60 mph. Going up to 65 dropped FE to 55 MPG, while dropping the speed to 55 mph increased the FE to 65 MPG. And this is without doing anything but driving -- no attempts to hypermile -- and usually running on cruise control. In a non-Model V (Five), you should get even better mileage.

Things that will kill your FE: speed, underinflated tires, rain, poor road conditions (sticky asphalt in particular) and using your brakes on the interstate.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want it to be a little less crazy, let some air out of your tires. ;)

Selzier likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Winds affect FE so much more than people realize. Traveling pretty much the same speed on a recent road trip I had a strong head wind (low 50's mpg) on the way there and a strong tail wind (70ish mpg) on the way back.

Codyroo likes this.
  10. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Something else.... I have a couple of small mountains near the new house I travel over that are a quick climb up and a slow downhill for about the first few miles before the interstate (an unexpected perk?). I get a great charge up on the battery coming and going and only drop a few tenths on the climb (depending on traffic).

11. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a believer!