1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Covid Prius Transaxle Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul Schenck, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On a recent trip to Walmart, after backing up out of my parking space. My Prius popped out of drive into Neutral, several attempts same thing. The I found if I literally held the shift position control in drive I could then pick up my wife and drive on to Costco and drop her off to snop while I went for gas. I was a little excited because after 613,000 miles, this was a problem I had never heard of, let alone fixed. While waiting for a pump to open up I began a
    Bit of testing. It wouldn’t go into park from neutral, it Wouldn’t stay in drive and would fall Into to neutral unless I used breaking mode.
    It was then when I believed the pump was about to open up, I reached for my mask. Now for the past year I have found that the shift control leaver the perfect storage for my standard surgical mask though recently I had found a higher quality reusable mask from 3M and the improved design of the mask meant it could become entangled and do precisely what had been done, fool me into thinking the car had a problem when in truth my mask was trying to take the blame the real problem which was me.

iPhone ?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That used to happen with my extra long backpack strap catching on the gear shift back before the pandemic when I had a life and carried my laptop in it and would at times pull over at random coffeeshops to get computer time in. So much miss those days!

Also my friend has a 2004 with busted shifter springs so the shifter has to be manually returned to its normal position and I told him I though it was a safety hazard when I drove his car.

landspeed and Paul Schenck like this.