1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Cruise Control Behavior (Intermittent)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bdubs85, Mar 16, 2021.

1. bdubs85

bdubs85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I've had my 2006 for several years now, and have started running into several various problems along the path, but this one has started occurring more the past couple of years:
    The cruise control on/off button turns the MFD "Cruise" light on and off, as it should. Normally, the cruise works as intended.

Sometimes, (usually on a warmer day when I left the windows up) when engaging the cruise control, it will either:
    • Not "engage" and hold at the speed it should, slowing the vehicle down, which makes the "Cruise" light blink several times and then turn off
    • Start slowing and accelerating intermittently in very weird ways (sometimes in a "stutter", sometimes just slower/faster randomly), sometimes even at WOT. Once, when it was acting up on a semi-deserted road, I set it to around 55 MPH, and it ended up slowing for a second and then accelerating at WOT to over 70 MPH before I cancelled it manually.
    Any thoughts about what could be causing this?

I have replaced the clock spring recently with a Toyota branded one and all the steering wheel buttons work again (this problem has been occurring before and after replacement of the clock spring), and I don't think the brake lights are staying on (pedal switch), although replacing the brake switch was where I was planning on starting.
    Also, it's not in "B" drive mode when this happens (for the person who seems to always ask).

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you can take a drive with Techstream plugged in (and a passenger to watch Techstream so you can watch the road), this might be a place to watch the Data List for the cruise control, looking for things like ghost inputs from the set/resume switches, or other clues to what the controller thinks it is being told to do.

3. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    where did you buy the Toyota branded clockspring?

4. bdubs85

bdubs85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rock Auto
    STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS CSP188
    $210.14

5. bdubs85

bdubs85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have a tech stream, I do have an elm Bluetooth adapter I might be able to view those from.
    It did it this evening for about 10 minutes until I got on the highway and then stopped. It's so irritatingly intermittent.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What would be a non-Toyota branded one?