1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Drivers. Anyone Use a Dashcam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 09Prius2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed recently that everyone is trying to run into me. 3-4 times a day. People that are driving directly into the path of your vehicle right in front of you, I mean like 10 feet away and just keep going as if you aren't even there.

I guess I have to get a dashcam before someone really hits me. Maybe I can't prevent it if someone really wants to kill me, but at least I have a legal defense against being at fault for anything. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Dragon Rider likes this.
  2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Installed on our 2012 v-5....about six weeks ago for the same reasons you stated....
    took over a month to get it from the seller but it's worth it.....

VIOFO A118C 1.5 inch H.264 1080P Novatek 96650 Safe Capacitor Car DVR Dash Cam-49.87 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

3. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've always have. I use my phone an app with a car mount and not spending money on a dedicated one. My phone is pretty much part of my infotainment system for cam, Nav, music etc. I caught someone ran a red light last week in front of me while we were in the left turning lane, he was already slowing down on yellow but didn't bother coming to a come to a complete stop and proceeded on red right after he crossed the line.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I have two. One forward one rearward. I just have to point to my camera when people get crazy and they usually calm down.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I need to get me a dash cam as well. I got ran off the rode by a drunk driver back in July. Did $4k worth of damage to my car. Amazingly it wasn't totaled since its a 2004. Last week some asshat talking on his cellphone just started merging into my lane. Didn't even bother to check his mirrors or if anybody was there. Honked at him for two solid minutes.; still yapping on his phone. After he noticed that I was chasing him, he made some quick turns and lost me. I would've loved to have a talk with him.

I can't wait for autonomous cars. At least then, part of the problem will be solved.

6. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any guides on how to remove enough of the ceiling paneling or the paneling on the pillars at the side of the windshield to enable wiring a dash cam mounted behind the rearview mirror to power without having dangling wires everywhere?

I was recently rear ended by a 20 year old girl who came out of her Jeep mumbling about how she "literally just got her car stuff in order" and then didn't bother calling her insurer to give them a statement, which meant they made me wait a full 30 days before accepting liability. Would really love to have more than just the photos I took of the damage after the fact next time some inattentive idiot hurts my baby!

Found this camera on eBay that looks like it would mount very unobtrusively behind the rearview mirror and stay in place much more solidly than anything suction cup mounted... But I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the wires -

12V Full HD 1080p Autos Mini Hidden Video Recorder Camcorder Dash Cam Tachograph | eBay

Any tips?

anotherOne likes this.
  7. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    All you need to do is tuck it behind the panels. Near the pillar where the airbag srs symbol is just push the wire into the seam and it will go right in. I have mine routed as follows: plugged into rear power outlet, run under seat under door mounting (just pull up and it snaps off) then under the kick panel under the rubber mounting up the front of the door all the way to the srs logo and tucked behind the headliner. 1474469694257.jpg 1474469699052.jpg

8. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Any one else experienced being passed up by other drivers while we go the speed limit? I noticed every day as it's like everyone is speeding and they change lanes from behind me to pass me. I pulled a number on some people to get them a taste of my Prius tonight . Car behind me got tired of following behind me while I was going the speed limit and changed lanes to the right of me and got in front of me and then I change lanes to the right. When we both got to the stop light and then the light turns green, I floored it! And passed that sucker up and got right in front of him . Yeah sucker, you thought a Prius was slow huh?

anotherOne and Dragon Rider like this.
  9. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    In the minds of all other drivers prius = slow. So even if you're doing 90 in a 65 people will get up your butt and try to pass you. It happens to me every day. As if I'm doing something wrong by driving a prius. We'll asshat with a suburban who commutes 40 miles a day alone in an 8 seater and now can't afford to feed his kids, who's winning at life now? Not you. That's who. Not you sir. (Peter Griffin voice)

csutton7, Phatlife and Montgomery like this.
  10. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man I wish they would just pass me. I spend most of my time in the rightmost lane coasting within a few mph of whatever the speed limit is and I feel like I almost constantly get tailgated, very frequently by people in giant pickup trucks or SUV's. The area I live in has a lot of people in raised pickup trucks too and they all seem to love to tailgate.

If traffic allows I'll actually switch a lane to the left and then switch back to the rightmost lane after they've passed. I couldn't give a shit less who's faster. I just don't want those idiots riding my bumper! Especially now that I've had the experience of being rear ended and I know just how much expensive damage even a light tap can cause the Prius... My baby's got ridiculously low miles, one of the best options packages that were available in 2007 and numerous upgrades and modifications but the guy at the body shop still thought the insurance might wanna total over what looked like a bad dent in the bumper, a busted passenger side tail light and a small dent in the hutch cover.

11. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you mean by "rear power outlet." I have a USB charge port I've added into one of the blank switch ports to the left of the steering wheel and I have that wired into the rear of the power outlet that's underneath the glove box. Ideally I'd like to wire the camera there too. Are you saying there's a different location that'd be easier to reach for power?

12. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Thought u had a 16 prius. Sorry. Same. Concept tho. Plug it in wherever. I do kinda miss my gen 2. I paid 5k for it, it had 140k on the odometer. Drive it to 200k with only oil changes and one set of spark plugs. Best car I ever owned. I owned a jeep for 5 months and needed over 6k in repairs to keep it running.

anotherOne likes this.
  13. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *points at the forum title*

*points at her avatar photo*

*points at the "Vehicle: 2007 Prius" below her avatar photo*

... Seriously?

Mission Auto likes this.
  14. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess my question remains... If anyone has any experience routing dashcam cables in a Gen 2 Prius from behind the rearview mirror to either the lighter socket under the glove box or anywhere else that has a usable 12v source available, I'd appreciate some reference material. Thanks.

anotherOne likes this.
  15. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I feel you. With my Gen 3 I got rear end twice in a red light . I waiting for the green light . KABOOM It bad when that happen. I am looking now not to get hit at all.

16. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I had a gen 2 and a gen 3 and now a gen 4. They all route the same way except for the location of the outlet. Literally just tuck it behind stuff. All cars have a roof panel and rubber door molding you can tuck it behind.

17. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Did you have to take any of the paneling apart to do that? Looks good.

18. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good idea, but depending on its location on the windshield. Five-0 might get you for a fix it ticket.
    To them, it'll look like you're watching TV while driving.

19. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Gnarly likes this.
  20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It simply amazes me. Drive a Prius, become the king of choice for road hate. This week, so far, without pushing the EV button and driving normal.............49 mpg. I don't give a rip if gas goes down to $1 a gallon, this car makes me happy and makes $en$e to me. After years of going through 2 oil shortages (oh yeah, we were really running low on gas in the 70's) to over $5 a gallon because Opec loves us so much, I am choosing a fun car to drive, with all the bells and whistles to turn even a Mercedes driver to look at me as I drive down the road. Hell, I even got a "thumbs up" from a Tesla driver! Why? Cause he gets it. We drive the cars we drive because of the freedom from being controlled by the Oil companies. Tires on a Prius, cheap. Tires on a Truck, pricey. Maintenance on a Prius, cheap. Maintenance on a Truck..............