1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Drivers. Anyone Use a Dashcam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 09Prius2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about canada, but all "no fault" insurance means is that your insurance pays your claim first, then haggle amongst themselves over who is going to pay each other what based on responsibility.

Lets say you hit someone, your fault. You only get something if you have full coverage. Your insurance will only settle with the other insurance company to reimburse them for paying the victims claim up to your coverage amount, once the victims insurance company has paid the victim.

If someone hits you and they are at fault, you can pursue damages caused in the accident up to the coverages specified in your policies.

I carry a $1 million no fault policy. If I am at fault in an accident I get nothing. If someone else is at fault in an accident with me, I can pursue proven damages up to that $1 million.

Its a combination of protecting your record and also financial liability / compensation for damages.

2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Nobby

Nobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to Dashcamtalk.com
    I fitted a dual channel Lukas camera to a Auris Hybrid (Gen 3 Prius running gear)
    Loads of pics and how to instructions. I am in UK but I bought the Lukas in Canada because it can be viewed from phone and I wanted pics on a RV trip.. It is a true Black box fit and forget until needed. It's a doddle to fit the only hard part is to get the rear camera cable to the back tailgate. Well worth the money. Forget cheap battery devices go for a good make front and back and one you can see on phone or pc with five or Bluetooth
    If you need more help just post

QUOTE="Dragon Rider, post: 2424787, member: 117687"]I feel you. With my Gen 3 I got rear end twice in a red light . I waiting for the green light . KABOOM It bad when that happen. I am looking now not to get hit at all.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.[/QUOTE]

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Nobby

Nobby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pay UK prices and use UK gallons you will know real pain.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed a dashcam in my Gen II Prius. You can see the video here. It shows how to run your cables.

#45 Terrell, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I was passing a small truck on the left, the right front tire of the truck picked up a baseball sized rock and flung it into my Prius rear passenger side door. It happened so fast, I had no idea what happened, other than there was a big boom, and when I stopped, saw that my door was deeply dented. I showed it to my insurance company, they were awestruck at how clear the video was, and they paid the $600 to fix my door, with no further questions. I like having the dash cam.

7. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you selling these?

8. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very detail oriented and actually pretty helpful, but your 2010 Prius would actually be the first year that counts as a Gen 3. :)

Still, it looks like your side pillar contains an airbag, much as my Gen 2's side pillar does. Did you feel concerned at all about where that wire would go in the event of an airbag deployment?

9. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just installed an A119, a cheap single-channel 1440P dashcam. Happy with it so far. Pretty easy to install on the windshield, mostly behind the painted area at the top center of the glass. Routed cable behind rubber gasket and just behind pillar facia. The developer of this camera is working on a dual-channel model, which hasn't been released yet. That's probably the one I'll install in our other Prius.

anotherOne likes this.
  10. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was at Dollar General the other day looking for a flashlight which I didn't find, but they had a dashcam for $12. It seems to work ok, although I haven't checked the video yet for quality.

11. wrothgar

wrothgar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice.....scary though.

♡myPeeus and ParadisePrius like this.
  12. ParadisePrius

ParadisePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I mounted my dashcam as in the picture. Very visible, maybe that will make other drivers drive better.

1480588349481.jpg

2011 NHW20 BASE
    SUPER WHITE
    HUBCAPS

♡myPeeus likes this.
  13. Gshadow325

Gshadow325 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting reading this thread. It seems like there is a lot of hostility towards Prius drivers.

14. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about this one? Looks OEM, almost invisible and great image quality. Too bad it freezes sometimes.

IMG_20160722_182219.jpg IMG_20160722_182202.jpg IMG_20160722_182119.jpg

SM-T813 ?

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No matter how you mount it, it will always be more visible to car prowlers than to aggressive drivers.

ParadisePrius likes this.
  16. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I have nothing to do with the company. I read a lot of reports before buying the dash cam.

17. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! I get confused between the "trim model" and the "Gen level." Yes, you're correct, it's a Gen 3.

18. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious where you purchased your dash camera? because this is perfect for insurance claims. As well for stupid people who don't put mud flaps on trucks. And for people who are the "hit and runners". Been there done that. #identifyplate#

19. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this post. It gave me an incentive to buy one. And I did #dashcam and it was a great tool to prove a case! Thanks!

20. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dashcams.
    I keep buying cheap tat. The 10 euro one failed within a year, the 17 euro one (4 years old by now?) works OK, but resets its date to 2013 a second after correcting it even though the battery is fine and regardless if it is also plugged into power.

Few weeks back I was behind a car that was swerving a lot towards the shoulder. Then it actually went into the grass shoulder a few inches. Then it actualy scraped the barrier quite hard but kept on driving (see pic below), and that was when I called the police. Holding my phone while on speakerphone so it is under the windowline of the car. Just as illegal as holding it to your ear, but less chance of getting caught and getting a 150euro fine (edit, I looked it up, its 230 euro, so about 250$) ... but I figured it was necessary.

The police officer on the phone asked me to follow the driver, as in the Netherlands we have loads of crossing and merging highways and offramps every few kilometers, so at each intersection I had to inform her which route the 'drunk' driver took so she could relay this to a motorcycle cop and a police car that were on their way to intercept me. When they finally did, I wished them well through the phone-lady-officer and said I hoped the driver was OK and hung up. A minute later I was called back and asked if I still saw them and if I were willing to follow them and give a statement, which I did.
    I drove past them when they ('drunk' driver, police car and police motorycle).stopped at a restaurant and I looked for an empty parkingspace and kept my distance.
    The motorcycle cop walked up to me, took my statement, said it was an old lady and she wasn't drunk (I never said she was (!!!!!), but from my explanation, they assumed that he/she might have been) but probably under the influence of prescribed drugs that affect your driving abilities. He then said: I see a dashcam, was it on? Replied it was. Then he said, can I copy the card? I was reluctant, as I strictly adhere to speedlimits and most other traffic related rules, but I am no saint and e.g. I take some (prescribed) drugs myself that make me even more vocal about other people in traffic... But he assured me that their only interest was this trip.
    So I handed over the SD card and got it back in the mail a couple of days later with a very nice thank you note.

I did screw someone out of their driverslicense (it will almost certainly not be given back after the hearing, it was pulled when they stopped her), so I feel like a dick about that, but then again, I did this before any serious accidents happened. Which should make me happy and proud (but it doesn't)

Police did ask me NOT to put this video on youtube, so this is the best thing I can do (even though the webcam is so crappy you can only occasionally read the license plate...).
    Please note this is not a parked car, but one going at 60-70km/h (~45mph)... A second later she bounces back and continues her route.

[​IMG]

In Australia we saw someone passing us with lightning speed. Seconds later an oncoming car turned on his lights and sirens, made a U turn and went after him. Never did see the rest of the chase, no use in trying to catch up in a 44500kg camper even if I had wanted to... :p... And when a riot started in a c Donalds, it had already shut off (big group of youngsters throwing bins and chars around, one smashing a car window with one of those metal gizmo's to compress the McDonalds trashcans. We just got the hell out of there (13, 11 and 7 year old with us) and the car that IS see on the dashcam in front of us gets chairs throw at it, but by then I swerved towards the big trailer carpark to get away there or at least have some protection from the truckers staying there overnight. It actually made the (internet) news a few days later... but no good footage (luckily as that would have meant having chair and other stuff thrown at our rental camper...)

Moral of the story: useful things! I shoudl buy a better one! (I didn''t even mention the FHD actioncam of my daughter that we used as the dashcam but died. We only started using this one after the normal official 720p dashcam stopped working. Then again, who wants to see 10,000km of uneventfull australian driving and 5000km of New Zealand driving... (We didn't see the action, but we did see the end-result of a car probably hitting the gaspedal instead of the brakes on an elevated parkinglot. When we drove past (now without dashcams...) it was lying upside down on the roof of another car...Now catch this LIVE and you've got something interesting!!!)

PS: dolj, you probaly heard all this AUS and NZ stuff when I visited, so if I embelished since then, just keep quiet :ROFLMAO:

bisco likes this.