1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Drivers. Anyone Use a Dashcam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 09Prius2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ours laws make an exception for calling police. Your laws don't have that allowance?
    You didn't screw them out of it. You are just saving someone else's life or health.

There comes a time when it becomes necessary to give up driving for the safety of others, and most elderly drivers don't do it voluntarily. One of my aunts, and an uncle, did so without prompting.

But my dad didn't listen much until he T-boned a tractor-trailer on the local Main Street, not seeing it at all until his rig was totaled in the rear wheel well of the truck. He has now very sharply curtailed his driving, getting friends or the hired farm help to drive him for most trips beyond the mail box. (He lives in a very rural area, two miles beyond the mail boxes.) But it took a wreck, preceded by many suspicion-of-drunk-driving traffic stops, to get him to do so. I was surprised that the responding officer didn't refer him for a driving retest, but his fear of that retest is what is keeping him off the highways.

Occasionally, the local news has stories of wrecks where the elderly driver should have quit driving earlier. They make the news because of the innocent lives they take with them. Don't feel like a dick for preventing the later.

R-P likes this.
  2. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased a dash cam for 89.00$ picture and video quality of 1080p Sony Exmor CMSO sensor with super WDR grand angle de 130° lens G-sensor incident detection and thermal protection from the suns heat. hides behind mirror. Power cord runs along the windshield seam down to power plug near the floor. It came with a micro sd card 2Gb continuous records in loops.
    It has been the best damn witness to all of the crap that has happened to my car that has not been my fault. It has paid for itself triple over what I paid and more. It is the brand Thinkware F50

And I thank the person that had an original post with the rock that flipped out from a vehicle and hit their Prius. ♡

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just installed a VIOFO A119S in my 2006 Prius. Had been in an accident where I was sideswiped and I could not prove the other driver was at fault. Like the OP, I am having some issues routing the power. This particular thread has been very helpful. 150k + miles, and I hope to make it to 200k.

4. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1513020107424.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#64 anotherOne, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  5. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After I was in an accident where I could not prove I was not at fault I had a long talk with my insurance company. Short story: if I had had a Dash cam installed, the claims procedure would have taken minutes rather than days, and I would not have been found to be at fault. I asked my claims adjuster about dash cams; he said he had one and would not be without it.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fortunately, dad has now ceased driving beyond the mailbox too. He has driven himself beyond the mailbox cluster to town, just once in the past three months.