1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy man wants a crazy big battery! Craziest ways to do it?? Please explain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tommy West, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello EveryBloody. I'm DIGITAL NOMAD and me and my boss #ladythepitbull are traveling through your neighborhood and all the rest as we explore the entire Untied States in Lady the Pitbull's 2010 Prius. We (The dog mostly but I passed her tools) just replaced the intake manifold and EGR and pcv valve and cleaned the cooler and the coils and plugs and injectors lol in a Walmart parking lot in Fairview Heights, Illinois.

Now what to do with the hybrid battery. . It's performing just fine at 260,000 mi. but I'd like to get ready to put in a new one.

One question though. What prevents me from just installing one of those grid chargers and then building a huge custom battery that fills up the entire hatchback and plugging it into the hybrid battery effectively giving me one huge hybrid battery? Will this work? Can the grid charger charge fast enough to keep the hybrid battery full at all times when driving the car and do so without burning anything up? Can the battery pack I build pretty much "become" my new hybrid battery by using my real hybrid battery as a pass through for all the power the car ever needs coming from my custom battery pack that I have plugged into the hybrid battery through the grid charger? And again without burning up the hybrid battery? I wouldn't care if it ruined the hybrid battery just not get too hot and catch on fire or something. Also is there a way to just do away with the hybrid battery all together and just use my custom battery pack there by eliminating this risk of the hybrid battery overheating by being used as a pass through? What to do? What to do you guys?

(Lady says Woof Woof YouTube Woof Woof Stunt Dog Woof Woof) Ok quit bragging lady and thank these fine folks for their kind consideration. (woof woof)

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main limit in hybrid battery pack upgrades is we've not been able to rewrite the code that runs the battery ECU to allow a different power curve and better performance. But after 8 years of research the guy who built Dr. Prius app found a way to use the most advanced and safer battery chemistry that matches the expectation of battery ECU, but holds way more amps and way more charge.

Best part is that it's slightly cheaper than OEM, but outperforms it in every way. This LiFePo4 pack charges faster, almost never drops below three bars when mountain climbing or in EV mode and in hot weather AC works ways better. And if you sell your existing pack while it's still healthy you can offset alot of the cost.

Also if you use my affiliate link I can offer you unlimited tech support: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What is our battery I have to look it up again or whatever 211 volts at 6,500AH or something close to that so I guess a big nice person battery would be10,000 AH 12,000 somewhere in they're,? I don't know much about it but I would think as long as you stay in the 211 volt range of the car loading up the trunk with cells wouldn't be any problem except for the weight eventually you're back end would be dragging the ground so there has to be a cut off of some point of the amount of amp hours you're willing to have versus the weight until batteries get it extremely more lightweight.

4. arntz

arntz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    In Australia, If you buy a BYD Atto 3, it'll cost you around 44 thousand Aussie Paso's. (That's Aussie Dollars) If you Opt for the longer range version, it'll add $3000.00 to the cost. An extra 10KW of battery, fitted for $3000.00. If the whole battery pack costs 30C/Watt, that means the whole battery is $18,000.00. That's for the latest LFP Blade Battery pack. I just replaced the battery pack in my gen2 prius with a factory replacement that cost $2300.00.That equates to around $1.60/Watt, and that's for 25 year old technology NMH Batteries. I understand the R&D behind Dr. Prius's LFP battery pack and the costs involved, but to buy them in Australia would set you back close to around $4000.00. That's around $2.60/Watt. I would love to put a set of those in my Gen 4 to overcome the annoying semi limp mode it encounters every time the batteries hit a mere 42 degrees C.I can't believe this hasn't been a discussion on these pages and a demand to Toyota to rectify the problem. It happens whenever it's parked in the hot sun, but mainly during and after descending long grades. The symptoms of which are; Batteries cease charging, Engine runs on continuously for no reason, Acceleration is like an old clapped out Hillman. If it were possible to buy the Nexcell's direct from China, the cost would be considerably less and would be much more viable.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've seen the next cell logo on Alibaba.com recently round tubes some kind of lithium-ion business kind of like what musk used to use initially I guess yeah I saw them also years ago when I guess the guys doing the doctor Prius thing we're just getting started and I guess I saw a discussion about it here but like 5 years ago 4 years ago I was not a member here then and I had remembered when I was on Alibaba doing some other business I had seen that nex cell logo. And I went back to look for it and sure enough there they were around the cell battery setups for the Honda insight and I think the early Prius which if it fits the Gen 2 It can easily be racked in a Gen 3 and I don't remember what they said then that would cost I had to buy you know 50 units or something whatever at like 899 a pop or something like that and I wasn't sure what I would get and wasn't sure about wiring and all sorts of other things and at the time didn't even have a Prius it was just an interest that just died out because of the amount of having to purchase.

6. arntz

arntz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    60 of these connected in series would give you the 224v required, and as an addon, would increase your battery capacity by 3 times. Having a means of independent disconnect it wouldn't interfere with the original equipment and hence reliability, but the trick would be to incorporate a 60 cell BMS into the pack. In theory it seems feasible but would require a bit of expertise.
    4pcs 3.2v 14ah Battery Pack Lifepo4 Phosphate 14000mah For 4s 12v 24v Motorcycle Car Motor Batteries Modification Nickel - Battery Packs - AliExpress

7. arntz

arntz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    If you were looking at cylindrical batteries for the Prius, they were probably the aftermarket NMH batteries that are around. Not viable I don't think.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL

Montgomery likes this.
  9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right?

10. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE

11. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I was curious about what plugging my huge battery pack into the traction battery via a grid charger would do

12. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Since there is no grid charger provision for a Gen 2 or Gen 3 Prius, you will find that every kludge you come up (at your knowledge level) with will have a negative impact. The Prius is a nicely made integrated system. An example: if you feed too much power into the hybrid battery, it will hit max charge and will no longer do regenerative braking. Side effect: rapid brake wear. There are many other ways that things can go wrong.

Dan

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can do it. Don’t let anyone saying ecu reprogramming is needed to deter you’re cool idea. Build a grid charger that runs on renewable energy and you’ll be set!

14. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    That's good to know. So if your constantly charging your traction battery then you'd only charge it to a certain level leaving the car some room to stick some Regen energy. Kewl

15. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'll probably put a lithium upgrade battery in there but would still like to be able to charge it with the huge battery pack that I'm going to be carrying anyway.

16. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The problem with your idea is not that it's impossible, nor even that it's a bad idea. The hitch is that your current knowledge level is likely to lead you into creating something unsafe. A similar idea was pursued in the early 2000s, making a normal Prius into a model that could run off the battery for a few more miles and that could store more energy from regeneration.

As I recall, it even boosted the MPG by a couple percent. But they accomplished it by adding some extra circuitry to fool the car into thinking that the main battery was full, empty, etc as needed. It was a relatively simple circuit.

But when you are working with lithium based batteries you have to carefully manage the charging and discharging. If you don't do it right you may damage the batteries, start a fire, etc.