1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy story. Need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jarrad reddick, Apr 8, 2018.

1. jarrad reddick

jarrad reddick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. My roommate (like a sister to me) was driving my 2005 Prius and totaled it (grey car in first photo)[​IMG] . She only had liability so the repair is 100% on us.
    2. I bought a cheap high-mileage 2007 (265k miles), thinking I was going to get my buddy to take the new-ish engine from the 05 (we had replaced the 05 engine when we bought it) and put it in once it finally died. Basically we would use the wrecked car for spare parts (battery, engine, etc.).
    3. After two days of driving, she wrecked the 2007, but this time it was the other person's fault.

(better pictures of the damage forthcoming, but the front passenger wheel is bent pretty bad and the door doesn't even open)
    The insurance company (usaa) will send the adjuster tomorrow and states that, from the notes, it seems they will likely be totaling out the vehicle.
    My question: how can I maximize my payout WITHOUT ending up with a salvage title? I need the title for the 2007 to remain clear and I'll try to fix it on my own. I do NOT want 2 totaled prius' sitting in my driveway.
    And yes, I know that I might need to also invest in driving lessons for her. Thanks in advance for that advice...

bisco likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Good luck and all the best!! (y)

3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Highest quote for repair comes from the Toyota dealer. The car is totaled when the repair is 80% of the retail value. You'll do the math. What's wrong with the salvage title if you're going to keep the car? What's the buyback price? Does your state allow you to drive a salvage title on the public roadways?

4. jarrad reddick

jarrad reddick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for replying to this post. I just noticed this message

5. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been into several situations like this, glad that you have the car towed at your home instead of repair shop (where you will incur storage fees if parked for a while) Insurance will send an adjuster to asses the damage, then he'll give you the numbers on how much they think your car is worth and the estimated amount to have it fixed. If the repair exceeds 60-75% of the car's value then it's totaled and they'll give you the amount on how much they'll pay. You can take the money and hand them over the car and the title OR you can offer to buy back the car and keep the title. The buy back price will vary and it's up to you if it's fair enough. During the buy back offer, never give the title to the insurance otherwise they'll mark it as salvaged. You can not sell a car legally that has a salvage title as a private seller, you can sell it for parts only! worst drive a salvage car and processing a salvage titled to a prior-salvage title (rebuild) is not a cake-walk with DMV..

douglasjre likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what was the outcome?

SFO likes this.