1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Volt incentives makes me want to trade

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by F8L, Apr 26, 2013.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

hmm you went with a mail order ride :rolleyes:? I at least talked to my dealer, 900 miles away, on the phone.
    (It was the closest red Volt to me.)

@ F8L, while the Volt is a very sweet ride, the PiP is pretty nice too. Glad to see your sticking with it. It may not even just be the "Cost" you SO finds objectionable I can imaging some women taking the car hopping as a sign of commitment issues. The grass may seem greener on the other side of the fence, but only if you don't tend to things. In Reality the grass is generally greenest where/when you take care of it. Cultivate your relationship with the PiP ;-)

F8L likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good luck with that. There are a whopping 5 CCS (Frankenplug) stations in the entire US. IIRC, 4 aren't even publicly accessible. Not surprising as there are 0 shipping Frankenplug cars.

Here's the Frankenplug roll call so far: My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - SAE combo plug/Frankenplug EV/PHEV car list.

For whatever reason, AFAIK, the Spark only has a 3.3 kW onboard charger (for L1 and L2 J1772 charging), which really puts them behind the times. Even the Leaf now can be had w/a 6+ kW onboard charger. Most other BEVs also have 6 kW+ onboard chargers (e.g. Coda, Fit EV, Rav4 EV, FFE, etc.)

In comparison, there are at least 160 CHAdeMO DC fast chargers in the US (
    CHAdeMO Association
    ). Also, Nissan's been semi-aggressively adding them to their dealers. Map of those at Nissan QC Stations - Google Maps.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, you are. :)

Do you have a link to the dealer and Chevy incentives? (Of course, I already know about the Federal tax credit and CA CVRP.) Sounds interesting...

I did some of your later posts... even if you could swing it, I think you'd lose a bunch of features going w/a base Volt vs. your Advanced PiP.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wonder with the high mileage if the Pip will give you better MPG since much of your driving will be with the Hybrid technology

WE0H likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get them via email. I can't remember if I have your email though. PM me and I'll forward the email ads from John L. Sullivan and Rydell Chevy in SoCal.

I would lose some features but nothing that I care about except the LED headlights. Radar cruise control is useless to me.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I could only charge at home then the PIP is more efficient. With a charge at home and work then the Volt is more efficient. Frankly, I don't care which was more efficient because they were so close and both are more efficient than the regular Prius. I was sold on the EV driving experience, smoothness, quiet, and lack of rattles. To be honest, now that temps have warmed up most of my Prius rattles are gone. Woo hoo

JMD likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Never fear, the rattles will be back in the Winter. ;)

F8L likes this.
  8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius rattles can be cured and it will likely be a very reliable 300k mile car.

Mike

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw, anyone know what the price of gasoline is these days? I have to give the Volt to my son next month and I think I might buy some gas for it. :)

F8L and JMD like this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on what state/town you are in and if you were looking out the windshield or staring down at your phone when you went by the gas stations ;)

Mike

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it was such a good car they wouldn't need such incentives to move them... Is there a line waiting?

Hope you have small kids for the back, no one else's legs will fit.

Another savings you're not likely to get with volt...... I hand me downed one 2006 prius to my son and the other to my niece... One is a fair margin over 200k, the the other is almost there and they both run great...... That's a killer money saver.....

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

dbcassidy, WE0H and Silver bullit like this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan,

I don't care what everyone else (the market) thinks about the Volt. With the incentives I feel it is very much worth the price. There are certain qualities that I like much better than the Prius Plug In. At MSRP I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole but when a Volt Base model is the same price as a Prius Plug In base model then one should take stock of what is most important to them and buy accordingly.

Not every car needs to be full family oriented to be a good car. I rarely have people ride in the back so that wasn't a priority for me as I'm sure it's not for a large number of buyers. The point here is this. You lose some size and utility but you gain a more enjoyable driving experience, pick up some fuel economy in most cases. Longevity is a question we cannot really answer yet.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much stuff can you haul in a Volt? Me thinkin like the stuff you haul for work.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked it out and I can haul most of the stuff I usually need except the generator which isn't a big deal. The Volt doesn't have a flat opening like the Prius so loading/unloading heavy objects is more difficult. The dog would have to jump in from the rear passenger doors because the entry deck is too high. So again, Prius is better for utility and families.

I like the PIPa seats better than the Volt Seats. I like the Volt seats better than the PIP Base seats.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In the NE, there were MAD incentives on the PiP and they may still be going on, I don't know. So there are other Plug-ins besides Volt that has to offer incentives to move them Alan.

drinnovation likes this.
  16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking at their lease for $189/mo with $2625 down...

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I drove 10-12k a year I would already have one in my garage. Their lease prices are insane because of the incentives. About the same price as leasing a Hyundai Elantra!

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't do it. That's all I'm going to say.

iPhone ?

dbcassidy, F8L and WE0H like this.
  19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But there would be more fluids for you to help me change!

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see. Cool. I'll PM you.

LOL! Yeah, otherwise he's going to end up in the doghouse w/his gf. :D

I'm surprised that F8L is suddenly going thru/switching cars so quickly vs. the 05 Prius he had for so long.