1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking brakes, occurs when pressing and releasing at stop and in park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusboston, Jan 12, 2018.

1. priusboston

priusboston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im experiencing a creak in the brakes at low speed and at stop. Even when in park. It sounds a lot like this youtube video that says sovled but does not offer a solution.

I've listened to other "ABS" sounds on youtube and the sound appears different.

The sound occurs when I'm pressing down the pedal, stops when the pressing stops, then resumes when I release it. Could this be a seized caliper as suggested on this thread?

Brakes creaking at a complete stop | PriusChat

I appreciate any input from those who had the same experience, or who know what this is.

Other info, maybe unrelated, but it started in the rainy slushy weather.

SFO likes this.
  2. priusboston

priusboston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow-up - This is a 2008 Prius.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had more or less this same noise on a car I was looking at to buy from what sounded like the LF brake. They elected to change the rotors and brake pads, about which I was a bit dubious. But it solved the problem, but I don't know what else was incidentally done whilst doing that – caliper piston, slide pins, etc. I did end up purchasing the car and its brakes are still nice and quiet.

4. BigVanMan

BigVanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just fixed this on my 2007. While I did change the pads and rotors, the real culprit was the caliper slide pins and boots. I had greased them a few months back using synthetic caliper grease, however I could tell the caliper did not slide freely on the pins like they should. Combine that with seeing the inboard pad was wearing faster than the outside pad, and it was clear to me the caliper was sticking.

The pin boots had swelled and seemed to be holding on the pins tighter than they should have. I removed the boots and pins and cleaned the pins and the pin bores on the bracket with brake clean, compressed air and brake clean again. Replaced the pin boots after scraping the boot mounting area (there was a little rust in there). Put some new synthetic caliper grease on the pins and re-inserted them into their bores and the pins finally slid in and out freely, but with some resistance.

With the addition of new pads and rotors, braking is one again quiet and creak-free. Hope this helps.

SFO and fotomoto like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s probably just the common corroded rotors. If you don’t garage your car your going to hear that everyday, they screech the first few times every morning because the rotor surface becomes surface rusted over night.
    Very common issue with a priusl take a flashlight and look through the rim on the front wheels and see how bad the rotor surface is.
    Should be very smooth and uniform. Yours is probably scratched up and gouged.
    Look at the rotors in the am before you drive away. You’ll see how surface rusted they are.
    For some reason g2s really make a racket in the am.

The car must be new to you.

fotomoto likes this.
  6. BigVanMan

BigVanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This creaking noise seemed odd to me because I have never heard it on other vehicles. There is a difference between the scraping sound when braking on rotors with surface rust (wheels turning) and the creaking I heard coming from the caliper when the car was stationary (as seen in the video). I experienced the later. My old rotors did have more than surface rust (living w/ salted roads) on the inside pad surface that might have made the creaking noise when the brakes were applied, but it’s never a bad idea to have caliper pins freely moving on any vehicle. I’m just glad it’s no longer creaking and I experience quiet, smooth braking.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree it is an oddity with this car. The oddity is you hear it in the cabin so distinctly and loud. Lets see a picture of the rotors.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wash a parked hybrid late in the day/evening + let sit overnight = loud brake/wheel noises and "grabby brakes" the next morning.

If the brakes are making similar or additional noises at other times; especially when warm, maintenance as stated above is highly advised.

#8 fotomoto, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But that is not what the OP has. If you haven't experienced the creaking then you may leap to that conclusion. The tell-tale factor is the creaking happens while the car is stationery, so not rotors with a little bit of surface rust. I don't even think that is a thing, never had noisy brakes from just sitting over night. I even had a car in a "salty" area and never had significant noises. The rear rotors were severely rusted on both the inner and outer edges on both side of the rotors - front and back (yes, back, not a NA vehicle), but not where the pads touched. Never fails inspection either because of it.
    (My emphasis added.)

Basically the same solution when I had this problem as mention above in my previous post, except I did not do the work so don't know exactly all that was done. They just told me they put new pads and rotors on. I presume they also lubed everything correctly, but I will check that the next brake service I do.

SFO likes this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the same issue with my front right brake, creaks while stopped or released.

Lubed up the pins/boots recently and didn't notice a change, will change the pins and shims at some point and see if that makes an audible difference.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lets see pictures of the rotors please.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try cleaning the shims and the back of the pads and then apply a fresh coat of shim grease.

14. wrothgar

wrothgar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found in my 08 prius that the shims corroded before the pads were worn out...the brakes made a creaking sound that wasn't exactly the same as this...but changing the pads helped. I re Pl laced them with a non-oem pad because I couldn't find new shims (I think the dealer price for the shims was 30$...and they didn't come with new pads...so the total was something like 130$ or 160$, which was too much for me. The new pads I got were shimless, and are fine).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Braveslice

Braveslice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have exactly same sound right now in my 2008 prius. I’m quite sure, that I had this same problem 2 years ago, and mechanics solved it by creasing something. My blurry memory says that he said something about greasing brake caliber piston, which is some special material and expensive to replace.

Could this be the culprit? If yes, do I need special grease?

Or is this just another way to say: "...the real culprit was the caliper slide pins and boots." ?