1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking (Cabin Noise) in the Prius V Center Console

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rachmaninov, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Rachmaninov

Rachmaninov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2010 Prius V Nav Package

I've got some creaking in the center console when ever I hit small bumps. My dealer installed a felt pad, but I still hear the creaking. I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly it is coming from. Either pressing down on the console bridge with about 20 pounds or lifting the bridge with about 20 pounds while driving stops the creak.

Has anyone fixed this on their Prius? It may be something just on mine but I am hoping someone else has run into this specific issue.

I know everyone has their own unique cabin noises so please just let me know if you've found/fixed a problem with creaking specific to the center console. If so, was it with the part where the console pieces mate, or was it with the trim pieces on the console?

Thanks for input.

2. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just "fixed" mine a few days ago:
    I had an old school mouse pad (1/4" thick dense foam with a cloth surface).
    Cutting out a strip about 6" x 1/2", I stuffed it down between the "bridge" and the center console using an old hotel credit card/key. It can't be seen from any angle. If it matters, I placed the material side against the console and the rubber side against the "bridge".
    So far, even with 30 degree temps, no creaking from that area at least.
    I'm going to work on the glovebox next, but it's too cold right now to try flexing that plastic-fear of cracking....

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pics? I'm having trouble figuring out where you put the foam....

I get more creaking and rattles during cold weather, but I expect that from contraction of the materials.

4. danvee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't take any pix, as it was a pretty easy thing.
    It's 25 deg out right now and I'm stuck inside with a 101+ temp.
    I'll see what I can do to scrounge one up off the 'net.

Here's one...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the exact same symptoms with my center console and the same solution for temporarily silencing it (pulling it up or holding it down). I have had it in to the dealer twice now (adding padding on connections) but that hasn't done anything. In fact, it seems I now have new noises that weren't there before the last visit.

I might try out the idea of padding the connection points myself but I'm not convinced that will work either. Toyota clearly has a defect in design here.

6. danvee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can tell you that, in my case, this solution was a complete success-even in 24 deg temps. How long it will last, well, only time will tell.
    I think that the key is using enough foam of sufficient density to maintain that pressure.