1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking sound after making a complete stop

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusohyeah, Aug 4, 2013.

1. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a new 'C.' 35k, and now 271k. After I come to a complete stop it makes a creaking sound like bad bed springs during hard and light breaking. I've baby this car, I love it, and I just want it to last for as long as it can. It's really annoying to hear every time after I come to a stop. Not before, not during -- right after (just like when you make a complete stop at the stop sign or red light, or just stopping in general).

It's driving me nuts. This is supposed to be a brand new car. Please tell me there's something wrong and it's not a normal thing for Prius's after you've start using it daily. I've never heard it before until today.

2. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard this a few times, but not consistently. My best guess is that it's the suspension lifting back up after the front of the car is pushed down during braking, but I could be wrong.

priusohyeah likes this.
  3. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be brake creak.

priusohyeah and minkus like this.
  4. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OMG - finally someone responded, thank you!!!! Mine is constant. I forgot to mention that my car had alignment issue and the 'dealer' had 'corrected,' it. now i hear it constantly. i also own a 2003 civic, never heard it creaking after a stop. whisper quiet. did i mention my car is brand new (2013!?!?!) i'm probably comparing apples and banana, but, it's just annoying to hear it all the time, especially when i come home late at night from work and every intersection and stop sign it creaks, creaks, creaks...like old mattress bed springs.

The dealer who took my car for a 'test drive' and 'couldn't duplicate the sound' had dinged my car. they offered to fix it, but, made it even worst than it was before. i thought they were going to 'pop' the ding, he instead used bondo, and didn't even try to even out the bonda, it looked like he used his fingers to smooth things out. toyota is looking into it. but i'm sure toyota is going to give me the old, contract this, because of that, something this...you're f**ked, your fault. car is still at the dealer, i'm awaiting toyota response from the case manager before i sign for the car. i'm emotionally messed up; i will never ever every buy a new car again. worst experience ever!!!!

First new car, first hybrid, already regrading this purchase. I knew i should have sticked to 'used.' 30 yrs old and i've yet to drive my 'new' car.

5. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The break creak is normal and i hear it when i release the break, i have no problem with that. my civic makes the same noise, but it DOES NOT make the creak sound after i break. oh civic...i've taken you for granted...

Anyhow... my friend says there's nothing with the alignment. i took it to the dealer and the advisor said 'yes, you're right the alignment is off' = corrected (supposedly). it used to veer right now it slightly veers left, but the mech is 100% that he's gotten it to spec, but they guys don't give a damn about your car. than the creaking sound started, took it to two different dealers, one said it was normal and the other (the one who did my alignment) said he'll look into it.

People think i'm talking about the regenerative sound, 'NO!,' i know what that sound is, and i love it. it reminds me of my vacation to japan. their electric subway always made those sound when they took off and stop. i like it, it's cool! feels hi-tech. but all that 'hi-tech' stops when you hear 1972 creak spring recoil sound after each stop.

NO JOKE! literally drove 4 1/2 mph to park car with friends to try and avoid making the 'crea' sound... guess what? it did it, very faintly. 4 freakin 1/2 mph. the mech at the dealer totally messed up the geometry of the car. i've noticed a changed in mpg as well. i'm not happy. first new car, first hybrid. toyota lost a hopeful customer, unless they do something about this.

not looking to get anything out of this. JUST WANT A WORKING CAR FROM THE LOT!!!!! it's why i decided to buy new!!!! worry free!!!!

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When you get this car back... TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE... THIS PLACE IS A JOKE.

minkus likes this.
  7. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

That's not normal. I've only heard it after getting out of the car, and only one creak. Keep bugging the dealer about it, and if they don't help you, try another dealer.

8. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, Toyota has their hands tied. They have to listen to the stealerships because of the unions. They are forced to let them do something first, before coming to a conclusion. This is what Tesla is trying to dismantle. If successful, dealerships will actually be part of the car lot and can make fixes happen just like if you were buying a bad Ipod.

10. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  11. priusohyeah

priusohyeah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's a lot of peace...

13. What a horror story! Sounds like the Long Beach dealer is sucking the blood out of you as well. Take it to another dealer pronto.
    My impression of the Long Beach community was pretty depressing. I was there for a week and not a single worker I encountered had a smile on their face...except for maybe one of the tourist restaurants by the boardwalk. :unsure:

ztanos likes this.
  14. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 20,000 miles on my 2012 and no noise when braking..... try different dealer or go to a brake shop....... I would make dealer redo the repair