1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking when letting off accelerator

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alex Bast, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Alex Bast

Alex Bast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I’ve got a 2012 Prius c with 335k km on it. Runs and drives well but it’s recently started making this loud creaking noise when I let off that gas - I accelerate from zero up to say 30kmph, when I let off the gas it makes a loud creaking sound in the front end. It also does it occasionally when cornering and I’m off camber.

Aside from that, runs and drives great. I had it at my mechanic and he couldn’t find anything in the suspension wrong but did notice the hybrid clutch damper is starting to wear out, there’s some play in it. Seemed to think that could be the culprit of the noise.

Anyone have any experience with similar noises? Thank you!

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Can you upload a video from which we can hear the sound?

3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ''hybrid clutch damper''

I don't think there is such a thing in the Toyota Prius C.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is a clutch damper but it has no actuator. Its a slip mechanism between the flywheel and the transaxle input shaft. However they do no slip unless there is a misfire. They never disengage.

I would suggest a strut is making the noise. Second would be a front end suspension part or cv joint.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you let off the gas, you activate regeneration. tranny wouldn't surprise me at all