1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Create a storage area in lithium model - styrofoam removal?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny Troy, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a 2016 Four on order, so I haven't actually had a chance to see what the deal is with the under hatch storage. I know there is Styrofoam in that compartment and was wondering if that can be removed to create a small storage area. I'm a musician and like to store some back-up equipment, just in case. It all fits nicely in my Gen 2 storage compartment. I read somewhere that the Styrofoam is used to cushion in case of a rear impact, but would forfeit that feature to get some additional storage. Any info from a present owner?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think all the 2016's have the battery under the back seat, regardless of the chemistry. The diff's are some have a spare, some have a pump-and-slime kit. Either way it's not a lot of volume, especially if there's a spare in there. Personally I wouldn't have a car without spare, but opinions vary.

3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Danny Troy

Danny Troy Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Excellent! Looks like it will be easy to store what I need to. Maybe I'll even add a compact spare.

bisco likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be surprised if the styrofoam had any structural purpose UNLESS the owner's manual warns against removing it.

In my FORD, I removed it, installed a temporary spare & some other "useful stuff". The owner's manual made no mention of the styrofoam.

KrPtNk likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...possibly the Styrofoam plays a role in road noise reduction? Usually mass is needed but also multiple layers helps on noise.