1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crew reassigned from Boeing to SpaceX capsule

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 7, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Commercial Crew Shake-Up: NASA Reassigns Two Astronauts From Boeing Starliner to SpaceX Crew Dragon

NASA has reassigned astronauts Nicole Mann and Josh Cassada to the agency’s SpaceX Crew-5 mission to the International Space Station as part of the Commercial Crew Program.

Mann and Cassada will serve as spacecraft commander and pilot, respectively, for the Crew-5 mission. Additional crew members will be announced later.
    . . .

I draw a pension from Boeing but lament their recent reversals. The twin 737 MAX fatal crashes were bad enough but their space capsule has and remains a disaster although no fatalities.

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yet.
    No pension from Boeing, but I was something of a devotee, and fondly remember the days when they were as far removed from scandal as they were from building sub-par aircraft.
    I was actually sad to see them lose the JSF flyoff, thinking at the time that the '32 was a better (if uglier) aircraft...but a pilot friend of mine always used to say "Never fly an ugly plane!"

The right company DID win and we got the better of the two turds on offer.
    If Boeing couldn't meet the technical requirements when they were trying to get the job, why would one suppose that they would meet them once they GOT the job??

Besides.
    I LOVE the 35!!!

It draws a lot attention AWAY from my beloved USN's LCS and DDG-1000 programmes..... :D

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I once installed a new hybrid battery pack for a guy in Seattle area who was an engineer at Boeing aerospace. I think of him each time there's more bad news from "starliner" project.

Makes me wonder if corporate america will ever realize that the way they organize themselves makes them way less agile and adaptable when it comes to developing advanced technology. As in companies that sit on patents and almost zero competition in their niche are not going to be competitive in expanding to another niche unless they buy out the competition in that new niche.

Meanwhile SpaceX just announced they're building their 4th spaceship for astronauts... And are preparing for their 5th launch of a capsule with humans on board in April of 2022 even though that article says it won't be till Fall, but not sure where they got that info?

#3 PriusCamper, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    ETC(SS) likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, that's not the way history is shaking out for America, but history DOES suggest that over the arc of time companies corporations DO die off from obesity and lack of exercise.
    The fact that many of them are publicly traded is merely an adaptation resulting from predatory taxation.....a symptom, NOT the disease.

Interestingly enough, SpaceX is (still) a private company.
    Mush tells employees in his company that want to go public that there's nothing preventing them from playing in the street with THEIR money or THEIR companies.