1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cricket.... Gone.... How? Solved

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cproaudio, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tonight I heard crickets in my room. Can't move furnitures to find them. How do I get rid of them so I can get some sleep?

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Buy a lizard! :D

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Our cat chews them and spits them out. They don't make any more noise.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny I heard crickets in my garage last nite first time, must be the season. It's been so dry here we should have less this year.

In the garage I use those sticky traps. Problem is birds see the crickets miles away so you need to hide the sticky trap or you'll catch a bird. If they get in a wall you're hosed I don't think there is much to be done.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in CA, so anything that's effective chemically is probably banned in your state.
    1. Get a jug of the wimpy stuff at Home Depot (like Ortho Home Defense) and hose the room down with it. It won't kill any of them but they might relocate.
    2. Clean up the joint! Vacuum carpets and rugs to eliminate eggs. Declutter.
    3. Large bowl. Add a spoonfull or two of molasses. Fill half way with water. Empty frequently.
    4. Rodent glue traps in corners. They usually smell like Vanilla or something equally cricket-friendly. They work on rodents too.

5. Caulk around the windows and add insulation to to hull penetrations (electrical outlets and switch boxes.) Cut back any vegetation around th......oh wait, you're in California. Never mind about the vegetation.
    The additional insulation probably won't be effective against the crickets, but it will make you feel like you did something proactive and the insulation will make your home more energy efficient.

Good Luck!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got no sleep at all on Friday night. I slept a good 6 hours during the day on Saturday. I thought the cricket had died or something as there were no chirps when I slept during the day.
    Homedepot online has Harris cricket traps but the store doesn't. They didn't even have a cricket section, only ants, roches and moths. They did have the Bayer Advanced all purpose insect killer spray that supposedly works on 50 different kinds of insects. Crickets was one of them but it was on a very small fine print. I had my doubts but I bought it just in case.
    On Saturday night, around 10:30PM, the cricket started chirping. This time it moved to behind my home entertainment center. I sprayed a few short burst in different areas behind the entertainment center. I still have my doubts that this spray would even work. I set myself up for another sleepless night. Lo and behold, less than 30 hour later, no more chirping.
    Now that I thought about it, I'm so glad I bought the spray instead of ordering the trap online. Once I get it in the mail, who knows how long it would take for the cricket to get out of the hiding places and into the trap. There was only one cricket.