1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crime Prevention Tip of the Month.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Oct 18, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 21 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]528459[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely not, you assume that I think all of them are drunks. But I KNOW that many of them are. You assume that your money will go to good use and that is it doesn't then you consciounes is still clear... What I'm telling you is that while you walk away unawares as to the ultimate result of your 'charity' I can tell you without a doubt that at least several times per day, just in my medium size town ER, that we spend thousands of dollars those who are drunks.

My point, had you bothered to pay attention, is that those who are in need of help can get it from organizations that exist specifically to help those who truly need and want it. And that donating money to those is a much wiser way to assure that those who need the help get the help....including the drunks...but in such a way that the potential benefit is greatest and the likelyhood of greater cost to society is the least.

I'll tell you that I disagree about the term 'most'...I think 'most' do have problems with drugs and/or alcohol, but it does vary by location. The majority of homeless who are not on alcohol or drugs have mental illness...and those also need help...much better provided by an organization equipt to do so than from a couple bucks dropped in a hat.

And I never implied that (you should brush up on your reading comprehension...unless you're just trying to be contrary). But those with problems with drugs and alcohol need help provided differently than those who are simply homeless due to financial reasons, and likewise those with mental health issues need help differently than either of those two. That said, I can tell you that some drunks don't deserve shelter...they decline help when offered, they take advantage of 'the system' at every turn, then go out and get drunk with the money they get for 'disability' and begin the process again. For those who accept help and treatment when offered but fail after a real effort I agree with you, but there are some, and not all that rarely, that have embraced their situations as alcoholics, won't take help, but expect to be cared for at every turn when drunk...and we all pick up the tab until they finally kill themselves.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most of the homeless may not be drunks, but most of the panhandlers in my area are addicts or alcoholics. I won't enable them.

I give through my work. I know that money is going to feed those in need. And those in need know where to go to get fed in my area.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan:

I think we're getting off on a bad foot here. I feel like I detect some hostility in your last post, and I do not wish to engage in hostility with you. You see the people who wind up in the emergency room. I saw the people who wanted help and could not get it because there was not sufficient treatment space even in the very generous and liberal state of Minnesota, and forget it if you are in the much more conservative and much more stingy state of North Dakota. I saw the guys who had to sleep under the bridges when all of the local shelters were full and turning people away. I did see drunks who would throw away the food they were given, but I also saw guys who were profusely grateful for a meal and a shower when we were full and could not offer them a bed. I did see guys who were mentally ill and there were few if any resources where they could get treatment even if they wanted it, which most mentally ill do not. And a lot of the homeless men we served at the Dorothy Day House were vets who the "support-the-troops" crowd wouldn't give the price of a cup of coffee on a freezing day. Their government drafted them, f***ed up their minds, and then dumped them in the street, and as much as I hate what they did over there, when one of them asks me for a few bucks, I haven't got what it takes to say "Forget it pal. Go over to the soup kitchen."

I hope we're still friends. But I just don't see it the way you do. Alcoholism is a disease, and being sick should not condemn a person to living on the street. Some of these guys were my friends.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 21 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]528655[/snapback]</div>
    My view on this (which may or may not be Evan's view) is that it is precisely because they have the disease that they are ill-equipped to wisely spend the money that you give them on the street. If you gave the money on the street to charities instead, then perhaps there would be more beds for the guys that the charities have to turn away. Moreover, I think the very fact that you're friends with these guys clouds your judgment about this and makes it harder to help them (or maybe not; but I know that certainly has happened to me before).

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry; Double post.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 21 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]528655[/snapback]</div>
    Nor do I wish hostility Daniel, but you seem to want to take my comments and spin them in a negative way.
    My point is simple. There are homeless people who sincerely need help..this makes the 3rd time I've said that in 3 posts and yet you seem to be harping at me like I don't recognize that. But there are also those who, by giving them hand outs, you are facilitating their adverse lifestyle...you are contributing to making them worse. I see those people. I have worked full time in the ER for 14 years and have seen every sort of homeless person there is. I have no ill feelings toward the homeless as a group. Indeed my close contact with those people make me all the more acutely aware of how much an organized and consistent means of providing for the needs of the homeless are necessary.
    And yet, it also shows me how counterproductive and damaging it is to facilitate alcoholics by giving them alcohol... and that is exactly what you're doing when you give them money. It may not sit well to state it that way, but it is the truth. They may find other ways to get it if you don't give them money, but that isn't a rational reason to make it easier for them or to facilitate them.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2007, 03:32 AM) [snapback]528727[/snapback]</div>
    I hear what you are saying. And I do give money to those organizations. Much more in total than to panhandlers. I just don't think it's fair to assume that every panhandler is an alcoholic, or that a sober alcoholic will necessarily run out and get drunk as soon as he has money. I do not give money to someone who appears to be drunk.

And I also know that it's important to pick charities wisely, because some of them spend more of their contributed money paying administrative salaries than helping the people they're supposed to help. Sadly, the Red Cross, which is one of the biggest, and the one most people think of first, is one of the worst.

And I also know that some of the really big shelters are worse places than the street for many people.

This is not a simple matter and does not have easy solutions. Sincere people can have very different outlooks on it. This should not be a quarrel between folks who give to panhandlers and folks who do not. It should be a quarrel between folks who give and folks who do not.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 22 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]528762[/snapback]</div>
    Again (4th time I think) I do not assume 'every panhandler is an alcoholic' as you seem determined to pin on me Daniel. At the same time it is clear that many of the panhandlers ARE alcoholics or drug users or both and that giving them money is no different than giving them alcohol or drugs as it serves only to enable them. Since I cannot tell which is which I choose to never give to anyone begging on the street. If more people did that perhaps it would discourage the begging and encourage use of resources.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am not trying to pin anything on you. But I'll let you have the last word on this one beause I think we're talking past each other.

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another issue is open garage doors, Ive seen people that are home and the person will ring the door bell and distract the home owner while the other steals items out of the garage..

We have even had a woman (20 yr old) with a real flat tire while the guy goes out to assist the pantiless mini skirt wearing young lady. the other person will go into the house. Of course the guy is very pre-occupied ernestly helping with the flat! as the young lady squats and watches.

We actually caught a couple doing this and linked them to a group of traveling criminals that shoplift and do distraction thefts (Russian Group).

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I will add on the homeless issue that most of the ones I have had to deal with are drug and/or alcohol users and most of them have criminal records and/or maybe a wanted wanted individual.

We have a large H camp in some woods next to a walmart, they go in and shoplift the store blind.

If they got caught they would go to jail and have 3 meals a day, shower and a cleaner dry place to sleep then they get out after a couple of days and walk back to the camp and start the process all over again. the ones that work the intersection will work in shifts when a police car stops and tells one to move on the other takes his place.. :rolleyes:

Another point we have shelters that do help the homeless, however they help those who are also trying to help themselves.

Other news:
    I also feel sorry for Honda owners, the (1976 - 2006) Accord, Civic & acura models are the absolute easiest cars on the road to steal..... ;)

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 22 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]528801[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever Daniel. At least 3 times you've implied and/or flat out stated that I believe that all homeless are drunks.
    Not one time have you addressed my key point...that you are enabling them. Why not hand them a bottle of scotch instead of cash...it'll save them the effort of walking around the corner to the liquer store?

If you get a warm fuzzy by doing something personal for a panhandler and prefer to believe in the goodness of people and turn a blind eye to the issues of the alcohol and drug use that you're sponsoring then why not go grab a bag of groceries for them.
    The answer, of course, is that it taked actual effort on your part to do that.
    The point is that you get a clear conscious briefly for the guilt you feel of living a life of luxury while they are homeless...but you choose to ignore the actual facts of the situation.

I'm not looking for the last word Daniel, I'm looking for you to engage my key points in an intelligent manner instead of turning the topic into "Dr. Fusco thinks all homeless are drunks". Not once have I suggested that. Not once have you addressed my point. I'm happy to give you the last word if you can defend your practice and suggest how you believe you're doing even the slightest bit of good.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Oct 22 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]528828[/snapback]</div>
    At least in this case you are getting real value for your money. Sign me up. B)

Tom

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 21 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]528543[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]528874[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. You did not say they are all drunks. But you said that many of them are, and your tone seems to imply that I am some kind of vigilante, killing off panhandlers by giving them a few bucks.

You and I have experienced very different aspects of this problem and we have very different views on it. You see the people who have had accidents requiring emergency care. I worked for 5 years with the full spectrum of the homeless in Moorhead and Fargo.

When you say that I might as well give them a bottle of scotch, you are implying that everybody I give money to will spend it on alcohol. If you did not think they were all drunks, why not recognize that only some of them will? And my experience of working with the homeless leads me to believe that a very small percentage of the people I give money to will do that.

Rich people drink too, and some of them suffer terrible consequences from it. I would like to see alcohol banned. But by failing to give credit for any good I may be doing, you are implying that all the money I give goes to alcohol. You have not come right out and said that all panhandlers are drunks. But if you don't think they are, then why not agree that some may be helped by the money I give them?

You feel that all I am doing when I give money to panhandlers is enabling. You have a right to that view. And I know it is a very common view. But I do not share that view. My personal experience leads me to believe that my small gift of a few bucks is not going to lead to more drinking, and that withholding it will not decrease drinking, but that someone may eat who would otherwise miss a meal.

You and I just have a whole different opinion about the effect that a few dollars has on a panhandler.

You have also accused me of giving just to assuage my feelings of guilt over having more than others, and I think that was uncalled for. I give because I feel it is the right thing to do. I give to organizations that work for political change, and organizations that do charitable work, and environmental organizations, and I give money to friends who need a bit of help. Panhandlers are just one more category, and they are the category I give least to in the aggregate, by far, since I only give a few bucks to any one person.

Why don't I just give them groceries? Because people need a lot more than just groceries. They need food and shelter and clothing and shoes. If they do have a place to stay they have to pay rent. They may need bus fare to get around. There are countless things people need.

People in all walks of life do self-destructive things. Does that mean we should lock everybody up for their own good? There is a double standard when the poor are held to an entirely different moral law than everybody else. If we really want to talk about the ravages of alcohol, let's talk about drunk drivers. Let's talk about long jail sentences for first-time conviction of drunk driving. I've already said that I do not give money to anyone who appears to be drunk (and it's not all that hard to tell most of the time) and my experience working with homeless people, including homeless alcoholics, is that except in severe cases a sober person is not going to run down to the liquor store and get drunk just because some soft-hearted person gave him a few bucks.

You think I am making the wrong decision. I disagree. I don't see us getting beyond that. I accept your view as sincere. I wish you could see that mine is sincere also, rather than accusing me of practically signing their death warrant out of a misguided sense of guilt.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't say or suggest that at all. But it is clear that some of those whome you give your money to will use it to buy more drugs and/or alcohol and will ultimately become a much bigger financial drain on our health and law enforcement systems in part due to your 'donation'.
    My "tone" is that there are better ways to help these people who need and deserve help and that you may, indeed, be making the situation worse. I carefully outlined how that happens and even approximated the costs of your generosity to the rest of the world. Not even briefly have you acknowledged that there is an ounce of validity to what I'm saying. If there is anyone here with a 'tone' it is you Daniel...he who attacks the messenger rather than acknowledge even the most basic points of the message by suggesting that I'm hostile or have a 'tone' in my comments. Go back, just pretend none of the rest of either of our posts occured, and read objectively my very first post. What did I say? What were my points?
    I'll summarize. 1) I acknowledge a problem with homelessness, 2) I support giving financial help by means of organizations designed to help them, 3) Defended why I hold that stance through my personal experiences for the past 14 years taking care of the homeless daily.

Daniel, again your own narrow perspective is blinding you. I don't just treat people who have had accidents. I tread anyone who shows up for any problem. The homeless guy with pneumonia who's never had a drink in his life is just as likely to show up as the drunk pan-handler who's been 'rolled' by a couple of kids. Not to disregard your 5 years of volunteering, but I'll put up my 14 years of daily dealing with people of all socioeconomic groups against that very narrow and brief experience of yours any day. Don't talk down to me like I don't know the 'real' homeless. I worked in Charity Hospital for 4 years as a resident... 21 shifts a month... and we took care of the indigent population of New Orleans exclusively. I went out on the street with EMS and visited the places where the indigent lived. There is no way you've had the depth, breadth and longevity of experience in this regard that I have, so don't try to use that as a way to make your point of view look superior to mine.
    Again, not at all...but some of them will. So why not give ANY of them any money or scotch and instead give the money only to those organizations that will only help those deserving? Help to eliminate the panhandling altogether. You driving a Zebra or a Prius isn't going to save the earth, but it's a start. Likewise this. Don't enable anyone who panhandles, enable those who help the homeless and let's start making an impact in a fully positive way. If even 1 time in 10 your money given to a pan-handler ends up getting them drunk and run over and killed, or seriously injured is that OK with you?

Again, I'm not implying anything of the sort. But I am telling you that much of the money IS going to alcohol and in the situation it does go to alcohol the financial and health consequences of that one in 10 far exceed any good you may have done for the other 9.

The closest you've come yet to a coherent response to my points...at least now I know you're paying attention. Again, however, you're not taking into consideration the immediate and long term consequences. While the 'bad' panhandlers may, indeed, get their drinks somewhere else later somehow and thus you not giving them money won't curb their behavior I think that's still rationalization. You're still burying your head in the sand about what happens after you walk away feeling warm and fuzzy.
    Further, that couple of bucks for the "good" panhandlers has very little positive benefit. They won't spend the money on a nutritious balanced meal....but if you gave that money to an organization that provides meals the same few bucks would feed 2 or 3 or more people a good solid meal.

clearly

Well, I'll tell you that I feel guilty when I walk by the homeless..perhaps you don't. If not then I apologize for my feelings onto you--perhaps you don't feel guilty. But I also feel that just b/c I feel guilty doesn't make it wrong that I walk by. I know that I make frequent contibutions to good charitable causes that I know go to good use.

If they need bus fare then get them a ticket. If they need clothes there are innumerable places they can get that for free and a donation to Salvation Army will go a long way to providing that to them for free. There are countless things people need, but if they have the where withall to stand on the street corner begging then they should have the wherewithall to hold a job that will provide much more than your couple bucks.

Haven't even read the rest of this paragraph yet, but you're WAY off base and taking this someplace totally different than anything I've suggested. I never said a word about different moral laws or double standards. And you were doing so well not making false accusations of me or changing the subject.

True but totally unrelated.
    Do you have any idea what blood alcohol level a chronic alcoholic can walk around and appear totally sober? I'm going to guess "no". I've personally dischaged patients from the ER that are clinically sober, clear eyed, clear speach with blood alchol around 300 (.30 with legal level for driving in most states being .08). Whether they "appear" drunk or not is of no significance. It might ease your conscious a bit...and it might improve the odds that the money will go to good use a little, but is no guarantee.

I'm sure you're sincere Daniel...but you're also closed minded on the subject and won't even consider the information I'm providing...you put your personal experiences above mine. You ignore facts presented when they're inconvenient or don't fit with your world view.
    The fact of the matter is that it is more beneficial to more people and has the added benefit of not contributing to bad habits like alcoholism if you exclusively give to charitable organizations who help the homeless than it is to give to panhandlers.
    And I never suggested or implied you were 'signing a death sentence'...perhaps that's your own guilty concious conjuring that idea up.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]528874[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 22 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]528969[/snapback]</div>
    I don't feel guilty for walking past people without giving, because I don't walk past without giving. But I don't give out of feelings of guilt. I give because I feel it's the right thing to do.

And I have not ignored your arguments. But I have heard these arguments many, many times before. I have thought about them long and hard. And I have decided that I do not agree. I respect your experience and your dedication very much. But after long hard thought, I have decided that I do not agree with your conclusions. Any action may have unintended consequences. One must consider that possibility, and I have done so. Perhaps I am wrong. But in the end, after considering what I have seen and what I have read and the opinions of people I respect (including you, Evan, and others who share your views, but also many who take the opposite view) I have made my decision as best I can.

I respectfully disagree with your thesis that giving money to panhandlers does more harm than good.

17. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have read this thread. On top of that I have the pleasure to number Daniel among my personal friends. I would NEVER question his credentials to understand the less fortunate members of our society. While Daniel is among the fortunate today, he has lived 24/7 for months on end with the least fortunate. There are probably few if any on PC who can duplicate his understanding of their circumstances.

The view from a lifelong state of privelege is not the same. To observe only the most distressed of the poor is also a limited view. To understand is to live with and feel what they live for and feel as one of them. To emerge from that to a better life requires courage, skill and good fortune. Daniel has all of that.

While I do not practice what Daniel does regarding panhandlers, I do not for a minute show it disrespect.

18. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 19 2007, 09:34 AM) [snapback]527788[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes being a victim is not so bad :D