1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crossbars Noise

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by dave3057, Jul 31, 2017.

1. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cross bars seem a little extreme just to get a 5th seat.

2. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If have found the key to unlock the top of the cross-bars. But once the bar is removed, how can I remove the part, which is at the edges. Can someone let me know. Looked at the documentation, but couldn't figure out how to remove these.

3. av8tor55

av8tor55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The T-handle wrench should loosen the clamps holding the crossbar to the frame. (You need the plastic keys to remove the cover on all four sides.) You should not be separating the bar from the sides, they should stay connected as one piece. You do have the factory crossbar right?

4. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes I think that I do have a factory crossbar, as this is what the dealer told me. I do see a plastic key (with stars at one corner and is T-shaped). I will give this a try today and see how it goes. This noise is just unbearable on the freeway.

5. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was able to remove it. TO loosen the plastic cover, I used the plastic key and then I saw the place to put the T-handle key. Took about 20 minutes. Very simple task. Posting pictures so that it can help others.

Attached Files:

6. HypersonicPrime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got these factory crossbars and yes they were loud (despite the aerodynamic shape). I think the noise started around 45 mph? I wonder if the Whispbar would be any better? I bought a 46" wide Yakima fairing which reduced the noise considerably. I think the drop in MPGs is notable though (increasing the drag coefficient as well as frontal area). I expected -5 mpg, but it might be near -10 mpg. I recently took 2 trips of 460 miles with the majority on I-20 (not too hilly). I left the fairing and factory roof rails on. The mpg might be better with rails and no fairing but I wouldn't stand hearing that whistling. Next time I'll try taking them all off (I only really need them in town). Here are my results.
    • For Trip 1, 75% was interstate speeds of ~77 mph, 20% at highway speeds of ~68 mph and 5% was city driving. I started with a full charge and I switched to EV-only when in the city, using up all EV by the end. The car said I averaged 48.3 mpg on this trip. My driving was not very fuel-conscious (no drafting, some passing). I had to fill-up before my destination with about 405 miles on that tank and I filled up 9.5 gallons. I do not know how full the tank was when I started (original tank) but I estimate about 9.4 (43 calculated mpg and 39.9 subtracting out initial EV miles for pure HV mode mpg).
    • For Trip 2, 75% was interstate speeds of ~73 mph, 20% at highway speeds of ~65 mph and 5% was city driving. I started with a full charge and I switched to EV-only when in the city, using up all EV by the end. The car said I averaged 53.0 mpg on this trip. My driving was more fuel-conscious (some drafting, little passing). I had to fill-up before my destination with about 470 miles on that tank and I filled up 9.7 gallons (48.5 calculated mpg and 45.4 subtracting out initial EV miles for pure HV mode mpg).

altruistguy, benagi and 1x1 like this.
  7. GasSavingJohnny

GasSavingJohnny New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you try to use gas on highway and go EV in the city on your next trip? Thanks in advance