1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crossover SUV’s

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Spenny, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Spenny

Spenny Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All,

Has anyone made the transition from Prius to a crossover? I was debating on a UX 200h but then I realized my Prius had more cargo space......seems odd. The only benefit I see is height for a crossover but you get much worse gas mileage and cargo space isn’t any better.

Has anyone found another crossover that makes the jump worth it? Or is it just a taller car that is not better?

Thanks for the input.

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d say the RAV4 hybrid is worth it. It has great power, a capable AWD system, and a flexible interior. Oh and 40+ mpg!

partiks and Spenny like this.
  3. Spenny

Spenny Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply. I do think they are a lot better nowadays, I just have a negative mindset towards the name RAV4 since the crappy ones in the 90’s and 2000’s. Stupid of me but I wish they would sometimes rename things....same with a Miata. Miatas are great now but I absolutely despised them when they came out.

40 mpg is pretty impressive.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually still like sedans, but I do not see myself buying one anytime soon.
    Our newest vehicle is a 2012, and if I buy my family's next vehicle I'd have to strongly consider a crossover instead of a sedan for ride height and convenience.
    The only reason I see me buying a sedan is if they become the minivan of the 2020's and are dirt cheap just because they are no longer popular.

If I had to buy a new car today?
    It'd be an inexpensive crossover ute.

The Rav-4 is an excellent vehicle, but not worth the price premium, IMHO - not in 2020.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better yet, wait for the 2021 RAV4 PRIME.
    But seriously, any compact SUV or crossover is not going to give you much more cargo space than what PRIUS (especially roomy Gen3) already gives you. Aside Rav4, Prius V if you can find a good condition used one would be the best bet. We really needed a bigger cargo space, and considered HiHy, but couldn't afford it even used. Ended up getting a used Pathfinder Hybrid. Not a switch, but just an addition to a Prius Prime.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had a '91 miata for 12 years, no issues. son has a rav4h, fabulous. not that much space behind the rear seat though

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost did (The RAV4 Hybrid was on my shortlist to replace the Gen 3) but the Prime and the thought of extended EV driving was a strong pull (that and discounts on the Prime... and that the RAV4 Hybrid was still a month away from launch).

The UX put me off for its small interior, chunky styling (I like it.. but it looks too much like a Gen 1 BMW X1 than an SUV... and if I'm going to buy something that looks like a wagon, I might as well buy a wagon.. or go back to a hatchback). Also, I didn't think the interior was up to Lexus snuff but I seem to be the minority since auto journalists think it looks and feels like a Lexus in the interior. I think I was also biased since I test drove the ES350 (again, no hybrids since they're all pretty much sold out upon arrival) and *that* had an interior worthy of the Lexus name. Yes, it was $15k more but the base price of the two isn't too far apart for the features and specifications on the ES over the UX (exactly $7,000 in Canadian dollars between the UX250h and the ES300h).

If the budget was around the UX, I'd get a loaded RAV4 Hybrid (or wait for the RAV4 Prime with its 39 miles of EV range and estimated 40mpg HV fuel consumption). If you want a Lexus, I'd spend the money for an NX (although a new generation is around the corner... probably a 2021 model with a launch date around Sept-Oct 2020 is my guess.. production starts in July 2020). It will most likely get the new RAV4's hybrid setup of 215hp and 38-40mpg.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Mazda had stopped calling the Miata a Miata for a few years; it was just a MX 5. But nobody else dropped Miata, so they just gave up on the change.

9. NickHall834

NickHall834 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a CR-V and we absolutely love it. I dont know what everyone is talking about them having less space than a prius, my CRV is much roomier than our prius. i'm 6'4" and have to wedge myself in the prius, but have no issues with the honda.