1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crown Sport Released this Fall

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Apr 30, 2023.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bestcarweb.jp has released initial specs on the PHEV version of the Toyota Crown Sport. It'll have the same PHEV drivetrain as the RAV4 Prime, 302 HP (225 kW) with an 18.1 kWh battery pack. The HEV will be released in Fall of 2023 and the PHEV will follow in Winter of 2023. So the PHEV has an estimated WLTC AER of 93 km (57.8 miles) and an efficiency of 20.5 km/L (48.2 mpg). The WLTC figures are close to what we calculate for the RAV4 Prime EPA of 42 miles AER and 38 mpg. At 4,710 mm (185.4 in) in length, 1,880 mm (74.0 in) in width and 1,560 mm (61.4 in) in height it is longer, wider but shorter in height than the RAV4 Prime with a longer wheelbase, so it slots in between the RAV4 and Highlander. They are not sure of what the powertrain will be for the HEV, but it'll probably mimic the Crown Crossover. If it does come to the North America market, I'm pretty sure this will be the end of the Venza (again). I still see no indication that the NA market will get any of the other Crown family members, since the current Crown is just that, The Crown.

「こ…これは超売れそう!!!」新型クラウンスポーツ試乗現場の生声と詳細予想 - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Partial translation:
    "
    [​IMG]
    The front is the Crown Sport and the back is the Crown Crossover. "Sports" is shorter in overall length and wheelbase

Under such circumstances, at the end of April, for some customers ("Toyota Passport", a customer service "Express member" that started with the new crown crossover) and some media, at the short course of Fuji Speedway "Crown A mini test drive event was held for Sports.

What the hell!!!??

"The aim is to actively incorporate the opinions of customers and the media, and to improve the car even a little until the official launch this fall." How greedy.

So, let me explain the introduction and impression of Crown Sports (Proto).

[​IMG]
    Test drive on the short course of Fuji Speedway, the impression is much sharper than the crossover
    ■ Cheaper than "crossover" maybe???
     The body size of the Crown Sport is 4,710 mm in length, 1,880 mm in width, 1,560 mm in height, and a wheelbase of 2,770 mm. The overall length and wheelbase are shorter than the previous Crown Crossover, and the overall width (probably the tread width, although unpublished) is wider.

[​IMG]
    Body size of Crown Sport and rival cars
     The design has a "massive" feel, giving it a muscular impression. It's somehow youthful. When I saw the picture, I thought "It looks like Ferrari's first SUV, Prosangue" (when I asked the developer, it seems that it is a coincidence that there are similar parts), but in reality the Crown Sport is sharper. impression."

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If priced under $45k it may very well be a hit .... too bad there'll be no subsidy unless money unless they can quickly slap some USA manufacturing & traction packs together.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Toyota, you, err, wanna make a few more RAV4 Primes first before releasing another model that uses the same drivetrain that seems to have a bottleneck?

Also, how would the Crown Cross spell the death of the Venza? It’s a different vehicle imo. Crown Cross looks lower and sportier, not the Venza crowd.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    kill-joy

;)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it even coming to the US?

Unless it is steeply cheaper than the Crown Crossover, there will be a $5000 or so price difference too.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Released into a market moving from sedan look vehicles and away even from hybrids. Too little too late.

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More information on the Crown Sport powertrains. From Creative 311:
    https://creative311.com/?p=153571

Apparently only 2 versions will be available, an HEV and a PHEV. Both will be powered by the 2.5L NA engine found in nearly every SUV and dual motors as E-Four only. There will be no 2.4L turbo HEV version ala Crown Platinum HybridMax. I'd probably hazard to guess the Crown Sport will not be coming to the NA Market. Sounds like its setup to be sold in Asian and European markets, although I saw no indication it'll go to Europe. This is purely speculation because there are no Toyota models with the 2.4L HybridMax setup for sale in Europe. Toyota's larger size SUVs (RAV4 and up) have only the 2.5L NA HEV and PHEVs in Europe. The only vehicle in Europe to see the 2.4L turbo HEV setup is the Lexus 2023 RX 500h. Not even the LM has the 500h setup.