1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise cancel no longer working: repair estimate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikepaul, Sep 6, 2008.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/13310-first-real-problem.html describes the exact situation: cruise control no longer cancels. Same click just before failure.

Does anyone know if this is a real hardware failure or just a loose switch? What has been the repair cost for those who've done it?

Not high on my list of things to spend money on since the brake pedal still does the job, but I'm SO used to pulling that switch rather than touching my brakes. I'm sad it failed but it had a LOT of use over 80,000 miles...

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do the coast and accel functions work?

shouldn't be too expensive in the realm of prius repairs. labor should be under 1 hour.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's exactly like daniel described: all that doesn't work is pulling the lever up to cancel.

Near the end of his thread he hoped it was just loose, but if it needed replacement then I'd have to worry how much the part goes for. I really don't need the expense right now, so I'll limp along using the brake like normal folk but if it's not EXPENSIVE I can do it in a few months...

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH doesn't remember the exact part price, but he's guessing between $50-100. you can call your local parts dept and find out.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, darn it, the fun ended Sunday when the whole stem snapped off while engaging the cruise. I can stick my finger into the steering wheel and manage to engage it, but the edge is annoyingly sharp. At least the details of the breakage are apparent: the stem 'folds' after repeated use then breaks when that last bit of plastic at the fold is stressed in another direction.

I'll be calling the dealer for a repair estimate today...

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Something to "look forward to" years down the road I suppose. There are some places where Toyota uses plastic that just aren't smart. My Tundra is of the age where some the infrequently stressed plastic is failing (blower knob and rear window hinges.) It appears to be a matter of age of the plastic more than numbers of uses or being rough with it. They really should be looking to upgrade materials in such components.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    $215 at my dealer, $114 of which is the part. The $89 MFD replacement they got for me is still fresh in my memory so no big deal if shopping around would have saved a few dollars. Going in on Saturday for the install.

Interesting that airbag removal was mentioned up front, like that has its own price in the labor manual. Or to warn me that it's not a do-it-yourself job.

I sure plan on being nicer to this switch, but that brake light switch had better pick up the load well. Many, many times I slowed by disengaging the cruise and never did need the brakes...

8. IDrivePrymaat

IDrivePrymaat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree.