1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control (2005) started working suddenly!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ernie stires, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    ..but only at startup and when the vehicle is cold. It does not work when actually driving (never did since I bought it) but suddenly it did as long as I just started the car and was slowly going forward. Hit cruise, light comes on, all features good. Later in the day, tried to turn it on while going maybe 50 mph, would not turn on, no cruise light on dashboard. Cold weather? I’m assuming the spiral cable cannot be harsher as if it was this thing would never really work. What other things could make this happen? Ideas? TIA

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One thing a dodgy spiral cable can do is conduct only when the steering wheel is pointed certain ways.

You could try holding the cruise on/off button down and turning the wheel from lock to lock, see if you find any spot where the light comes on.

Ernie stires likes this.
  3. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, previously tried that extensively, no change. All other steering wheel functions are spot on.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, if I had a problem like this, I would scan the vehicle for codes. If there were none, then I would go to the "cruise control ecu" and watch scan data while working the controls. If one or more switches aren't registering then it's time to do some voltage testing.

There are other problems that could prevent C/C operation, but most "should" set codes somewhere.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Ernie stires likes this.
  5. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good idea, I use Techstream to scan, no codes. However I have not manipulated the controls while using Techstream, I’ll try that. Since the cruise functions exactly as designed when on, the issue is that the controls do not turn it on, except, apparently, when it is cold outside! I’ll be able to test this again tomorrow as it will, again, be cold. I’m beginning to think that I may as well replace rje control stalk, pretty easy job.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some apparent correlations can be spurious. Although it's not ironclad, a sensible rule of thumb is to ask oneself, "is there any reason they would have the cruise control activation in any way contingent on ambient temperature?".

Ernie stires likes this.
  7. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Agreed! And I just now ran the steering wheel test and was able to get it to turn on. I had gone this before with no luck, but in my estimation the fact that it worked just now pretty much confirms, clockspring.