1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control drains EV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mskojon, Sep 15, 2020.

1. mskojon

mskojon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks!
    I used cruise control for first time driving on highway few days ago and I noticed a problem.
    15-20min of cruising faster than 70mph drains battery to zero, gasoline engine is reving high and screaming, and car lose performance. Is it a normal thing? I know that driving fast requires a plenty of power but I think it should not happen.
    What do you think?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This happens if your car has high mileage and the gasoline engine is not providing much power. Also happens if you're going really fast and uphill

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Also might indicate that the HV battery is starting to fail.

IF.....the only "symptom" was the HV battery staying at a low level of charge, then that might be normal while the car's systems are straining to maintain a high speed.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The paradox is that one could follow the other in an older Prius. As the engine misbehaves and puts more demand on the HV battery, it could be enough to tip the HV battery over the edge.