1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control Intermittent Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 05bluepriusinyakima, Feb 5, 2017.

1. 05bluepriusinyakima

05bluepriusinyakima New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi I own a 2005 Toyota Prius and I bought this about a year ago and it runs and drives amazing. I love this car but shortly after I bought the car the cruise control started working intermittently. I took it to Toyota and they said I have the following codes. p0420, c2300, c2318, c1242. They said that P0420 shows converter below efficient CY. Other codes relate to low battery which I put a new one in, and low oil which the car runs about 400 miles and needs at least one quart of oil. Can someone please tell me how I can get around the codes so that the cruise control will come back on and stay on. Also I noticed the fuel usage sucks! I get about 200 miles per tank of gas. Please help me figure out what to do. Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon your post, I would have to say your engine is in amazingly bad condition - or else you have a very low threshold to be amazed.

1. You are right that DTC P0420 means that the catalytic converter has failed. There is no point in replacing it as long as the engine continues to burn oil at an accelerated rate.
    2. If the engine is using one quart of oil in 400 miles, it is seriously worn out. What is the odometer reading?
    3. No surprise that the fuel economy is poor given #2 above. A worn engine is converting more of the chemical energy in gasoline into heat energy (due to abnormal clearances between the pistons and cylinder bores), instead of into mechanical energy which powers the drivetrain.
    4. If the cruise control is not working, that probably means another DTC has been logged which was not reported to you, having to do with the hybrid drivetrain. Another possibility is that the cruise control switch or the spiral cable is faulty.
    5. You cannot get around the fundamentally poor condition of the engine, plus who knows what else is wrong with the drivetrain.
    6. What to do: get rid of the car. It is probably not economic to install a used engine unless you can DIY. If you could DIY you probably wouldn't post these questions...

#2 Patrick Wong, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. 05bluepriusinyakima

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mileage is 145000 but my concern is that I don't want to get rid of the car, it runs very well. Doesn't smoke, drives really nice. Just has this issue which I would like to get fixed if possible. If I change the cat conv. would this be a solution to the cruise control?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The failing catalytic converter condition is unrelated to the non-functioning cruise control. The cruise control is just a software function in the hybrid vehicle ECU. If the cruise control is intermittent, either you have a problem with the cruise control switch in the steering wheel, the spiral cable in the steering hub, or the HV ECU is refusing to activate the cc.

Considering the high engine oil burn rate, don't expect a new catalytic converter to last very long.

5. 05bluepriusinyakima

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota told me that the reason it isn't working is because of the codes. These codes when sent shuts down that part of the program. Now I'm not an expert, and I am not by any means doubting you, it's what they told me. That being said, can I make it work by doing something. IE replace the ecu, trick it into working?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you need to find out what are the current DTC being logged by your car after you replaced the 12V battery. Mini VCI is an excellent means to achieve that if you have access to a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS.

If DTC C1242 is still present, then you would need to check the ABS1 and ABS2 relays as well as the wiring harness leading to the skid control ECU. Either could cause a problem with the hybrid vehicle ECU inhibiting cruise control operation.

Hybrid vehicle ECU failure is very uncommon and you have not reported a DTC associated with that, such as P0607.

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do all the other buttons on the steering wheel work? Specifically check the ventilation recirc button, as it's often the first to go when the spiral cable goes bad.

8. 05bluepriusinyakima

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes all of the buttons work, heating and air auto radio up and down. they all work great. As for the previous post, they did say something about the anti breaking not working and it still does not, I completely forgot about that not working.