1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control Mod (gen3)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Aug 10, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the UK base Prius t3 which is similar to your Prius III. Whilst it comes with front fogs it has precious little inside other than climate control. The next models up have cruise control which is mounted on the steering wheel. Well I've heard that the wiring and computers for this is there on all gen3 models (like EV mode on the US gen2 which was hidden but there) and to add cruise control to my car I'd just need to remove the blanking plate on the steering wheel, add the official buttons and new plastic plate (with a gap for the buttons) and job done.

Does anyone know if it is this simple and whether there are other quick fixes are out there such as bluetooth telephone control (steering wheel mounted) or even just swapping the cd player with the posh one with the screen.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just an fyi, u.s. has cruise on a stock just below the steering wheel.

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can tell u for certain that I did this mod on a 2012 corolla & nothing more was needed.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought ours was too but I don't have it. Someone had said it was possible to modify the steering wheel with very minimal parts from Toyota as the wiring was already there.

Maybe I misunderstood them and it was just a case of adding that little stubby stalk/lever thing. Does anyone know if that's all there is to it?

Just googled and it appears our c/c is the same as yours.

[​IMG]

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No wiring needed. All u need is the stalk & the correct side cover. Remove the airbag, install new stalk, plug in connector, reinstall airbags & covers.

I'll take a few pics of where the connector plugs in....this way u can verify if u have the wiring

GrumpyCabbie likes this.