1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control - plug and play

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by pshawfocus, Oct 14, 2018.

1. pshawfocus

pshawfocus Picard would own a Prius...

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As some of you will know I've recently been reacquainted with the Gen 1 that I sold 10 years ago. During my original ownership, I had the local Toyota garage fit cruise control to him - it's basically a new steering wheel with the cruise control lever in situ. The garage remove the old wheel, connect the new one and away you go. I had sourced that replacement wheel from Toyota in the USA from memory.

Anyway....as is often the case I kicked myself the moment I originally sold the Gen1 so the idea of reacquiring myself with him perculated in the back of my mind for many years. However, whilst we stayed in touch the new owner gave no suggestion that he would (ever) part with him.

Periodically I would therefore look into buying another Gen 1 but life and other stuff got in the way. I think I'm right in saying that the only two options on the car when new were cruise control and nav (?), but due to the high cost of both they were rarely ticked (plus when new the Gen 1 was uber expensive and somewhat unknown and unloved). So, although I didn't have a Gen 1 Prius, I did source another new Toyota wheel with cruise from Toyota in the US in anticipation of getting one (yeah, cart and horse I know). That kit has sat in it's Toyota box, in my garage for the past 8 or so years.

So....as my first cruise control equipped Gen 1is now back in my garage, would anyone else with a Gen1 like to get their hands on the cruise kit? I'll pop out to my garage later and take a pic of the box and if I can open it without damaging it (feels like I'd be opening a rare Star Wars toy), I'll take some pics of the inside.

2. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Yes that would be a great add on for me. I do a lot of motorway miles and I miss the cruise control but absolutely love my gen 1.

So do you think the car has all the controls fitted to allow cruise to be operated? Therefore a relatively simple matter of swapping steering wheels and enabling the cruise function in the ecu?

And the obvious question. How much?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How much are you looking to get for the kit?

iPhone ?

4. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I remember when the 2001s were brand new to the US market, there isn't even an "enable in the ECU" step - you install the wheel with the cruise control switch and then it Just Works[tm].

I think cruise was standard in the US once it became available. The early 2001 models didn't ship with it, and this was noted in the dealer literature at the time. The serial number part of my VIN is in the 4000s and it doesn't have cruise.

5. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    "From what I remember when the 2001s were brand new to the US market, there isn't even an "enable in the ECU" step - you install the wheel with the cruise control switch and then it Just Works[tm]."

If that's the case then why can't a switch be fitted and hey presto it just works. I think my steering wheel is coming off this weekend to see what's going on. Ha ha

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. pshawfocus

pshawfocus Picard would own a Prius...

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was exactly what happened for me - the Toyota garage installed the new wheel and away I drove. AFAIK all gen 1 dashboards have the display for cruise.

Itsmeonprius likes this.