1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control setting.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ronhowell, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is somewhat of a minor beef, relative to my 2008 Prius CC, but why did Toyota not differentiate between the status of the CC being "armed", when the indicator panel reads "cruise", and when the same control is set, when it would be helpful if the indicator panel read "cruise set", rather than continuing to read simply "cruise"?

I mention this because the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I had prior to buying the Prius did differentiate between the 2 conditions, so you always knew your status.

And does the 2010 3rd gen Prius have the same setup?

2. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't help much, my last 4 cars have been Toyotas and the cruise has worked this way (it does in the 2010 Prius). You get a light when the cruise is on, but no indication that you have set a speed. I have not seen this as an issue, when I set the cruise I lift off the gas and ride along. If I brake the cruise is "un-set", if I speed up (say to pass) then let go, it returns to cruising at my original speed.

3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even worse is having to turn it back on every time after you've powered the car down. It should stay "On" until I decide to turn it off (which would be never!).

- D

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the 2010 Prius equipped with the "Dynamic Radar Cruise Control", we can see the set speed.

Ken@Japan

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my 2010 I have two different indicating lights, one for CRUISE MAIN and the other for SET. Page 186 of the Owner's Manual shows this also.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been "fixed" for the Gen 3, yes. Frankly, I have no issues (but then again, I grew up with Toyota so I've never had a SET light).

In the Gen 3, there's a cruise light (now an icon instead of the word CRUISE) and a new "SET" light when the speed is set.

with DRCC, you'll also see the EDM/MID switch to a car with 3 bars and your set speed on the top right hand corner.

7. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you mean that the display reads "unset"?

8. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting, thanks Tideland. Obviously with the additional variables to handle in the Gen III, especially with DRCC, Toyota have had to refine the display details, to provide more key information.

FWIW, the 2000 model Jeep GC I had incorporated all the CC functions in a button complex located in the steering wheel, which was very easily accessed and had all the functionality that the Prius Gen II has.
    By comparison, the Toyota stalk control strikes me as somewhat of an add-on afterthought, not to mention somewhat fragile.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "SET" light disappears when the speed is no longer held by cruise control. The cruise icon will still be on until you turn it off or turn off the car.

I prefer the stalk myself. It frees up the wheel for other buttons (like nav, bluetooth etc). If you look at a Honda steering wheel (e.g. the RL), they're running out of space to put buttons.

The stalk is within reach of the pink at 9-3 position so I can Accel/Decel/Cancel without taking my hands off, just the same if you were to use your thumb on steering-wheel mounted CC.