1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control stopped working ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tamim, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 Prius with 215000 miles on it and the cruise control stopped working. When I press the button it doesn't engage cruise control anymore and does nothing.

I'm fairly certain the button is broken its self because it became very hard to push for the past 6 months, I would have to push it multiple times in order to engage the cruise control.

Does anyone know how I can fix it myself? Or would I have to take it to a mechanic?

Thanks for the help.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I remember correctly, for access to the cruise control switch mounting screws:

1. Disconnect the negative cable from the 12v battery. Leave the rear hatch open or place something over the lower half of the locking mechanism to prevent the lock from engaging. (I use a folded up full size bath towel and then lower the hatch onto it)
    2. Remove the airbag from the center of the steering wheel. There is one mounting bolt on each side of the steering wheel under a plastic cover. They are torx size 30, iirc. Gently pull the air bag toward the driver seat to access the control wires. Remove the safety plugs by using a small flathead screwdriver to lift upward on each plugs locking mechanism. Remove the ground wire female spade by pushing back on the small tab in the center of the male spade and then the female will pull right off.
    3. Unplug the steering wheel electrical connectors located at the middle upper area that was just uncovered.
    4. Remove the steering wheel. Position the front wheels so they are straight ahead or position the steering wheel so it is perfectly centered or mark the steering wheel in relation to the shaft. Remove the nut and wiggle the steering wheel while tugging on it. 90% of the time, the wheel will pull free with no special puller tools needed. Be careful when pulling that the wheel doesn't suddenly jerk free and snag the disconnected wires. You want to make sure you replace the steering wheel aligned with the same splines so the steering wheel is correct with the front tires.
    5. Removing the steering wheel exposes 2 phillips screws that mount the plastic trim covers. Remove these screws. Then remove the small silver mounting screw that is hidden by the tilt steering lever under the steering column.
    6. Pop the two halves of the cover apart and remove them from around the steering wheel. You should now have access to the electrical connection(s) and mounting screws for the CC switch.
    Put it all back together.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Tamim likes this.