1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WildOne, Aug 10, 2013.

1. WildOne

WildOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've heard that cruise control reduces mileage. This was in relation the Honda Civic Hybrid (Gen II).

I read this from a tips thread on GreenHybrid.

I know that the Honda hybrids start the ICE first and then the electric motor, while Toyota hybrids do the opposite. Is this true?

Does this also apply to the Prius?

2. 510bg

510bg Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive a 90 mile commute mainly on cruise control 65-75 mph 50-60mpg. Most of which is flat road. Sure I'd like to get more mpg but I'm happy with the results.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's not a single answer for all situations and drivers. For many drivers it may save fuel in some situations, cost fuel in others and make no difference some of the time. Certainly, a blanket statement that CC costs fuel is wrong.

spiderman likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cruise Control neither anticipates hills nor knows how long they are, so it does not speed up just before a hill, nor going downhill. It does not slow down right at the crest. All of which can help MPG.

In my case, I can drive (North South) 156 miles whilst only gaining (or losing) 100 feet of elevation, so hills are not a major concern and Cruise Control serves me well. (The highest point in MS is 880 feet, but it is not near me

You did not post a location (which will ALWAYS hamper our ability to advise you on any subject) so I have no clue how hilly your normal driving is.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be interesting to see a real world test on just how much difference this makes. Aside from irritating other drivers, I wonder if the difference needs to accumulate over a pretty long drive to be meaningful. Anyhow, I get excellent mileage just leaving the CC to handle things. I will say that RACC is a fuel waster, since it's constantly adjusting speed in traffic - but its OK on the open road.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it all depends on the situation...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm coming from a second gen Civic Hybrid and I'd concur: with that car the cruise seemed to have a negative impact.

I've found the 3rd gen Prius Cruise Control quite effective at keeping the mpg numbers high, at least as showing on Scan Gauge. Most anytime I activate it I'll see the numbers improve.

In cruise the car will aggressively stay in stealth mode. It'll also regen going down steeper grades, to maintain the set speed.

I use it quite a bit, any time traffic is light, at various speeds/conditions. Basically any time I may need to brake fast or negotiate a curve I for sure disengage it, but other than that...

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) My 9.8 mile daily work commute is about 7.5 miles interstate. I use cruise control 100% of that portion. All level ground and I wouldn't anticipate any real MPG loss. There's also a almost daily speed trap. Cruise control once set is effortless. Having the radar cruise control is a big plus.

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My experience is that cruise control always lowers mileage. Finding the stealth mode is a moving target and CC does not understand it anyway. That being said, the advantages on a long trip, for me, outweigh the mileage loss.

510bg likes this.
  10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive 105 miles a day over very hilly terrain. I use cruise control any time I am able to because I have found it is much better than me at regulating the amount of acceleration/deceleration needed to maintain a fairly consistent speed up and down hill. I have also found that my mpg goes up when I maintain a consistent speed. I generally have it set at between 62 and 69 mph and attain between 54 and 60 mpg (on the display) when I use CC.

510bg likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cruise will maintain a fairly consistant speed on hills, which is why it costs mpg's. i find when i'm in cruise many others keep passing me and then slowing down. it's a pain in heavier traffic when i keep catching up to people.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used cruise control and shifting between "N" and "D"+'resume' to do this:
    [​IMG]
    An incredibly boring 'stunt' in my wife's 2010 thanks to cruse control.

BTW the cruise control light in our 2003 Prius burned out earlier this year.

Bob Wilson

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I use CC as much as possible. In my case, one speeding ticket offsets any fuel savings. :D

bwilson4web and JimboPalmer like this.
  14. jodamiller

jodamiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On flat ground, I find that cruise control does a better job of keeping the engine near the stealth mode/eco level threshold than I can. That being said, I've very proactive in coasting into stops and turns and then manually accelerating back to cruising speed before reengaging the CC. I've only had my Prius for three months, but I have a higher MPG rating after every fill up so far and using CC when best has worked out well.

15. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The average speed of 22 mph may have something to do with this.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually the minimum cruise control speed is 23 mph but it is unusable. The first dip in speed and it kicks out. So during the drive I was using 26-27 mph as the cruise control set speed. But even in a well planned route, there are stop lights, stop signs, and when I arrive at work, a parking lot. The average 22 mph is accurate because it does include stops and parking lots.

Bob Wilson

17. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tell us more, Bob! So you cruise at 26-27 mph, but what are the conditions that lead you to N? Do you resume from a stop or after getting back to speed? What is CC doing here that is different from your manual control?

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The marathon drive was a 'stunt' and not something I recommend to anyone. I took pains to choose routes where I would not be blocking traffic and times when there was little or no traffic around. But during the stunt:
    • Set cruise control to 26-27 mph and monitor energy flow display . . . drive the car
    • When energy flow shows arrows from wheel to battery, shift into "N" -> the car will roll faster on downgrade
    • When car speed approaches 26-27 mph in "N", shift into "D" and hit "resume" on cruise control -> car will continue at set speed
    • When braking, shift into "D"
    That is it,
    Bob Wilson

ps. The physics behind it:
    1. Cruise control speed -> minimizes aerodynamic drag; eases burden on operator and, efficiently moves car forward or ascending upgrades.
    2. Shift "N" -> the car's potential energy is converted by the downgrade into kinetic energy, the most efficient transfer possible.
    3. 26-27 mph -> provides enough margin to handle upgrades. With practice, 25 mph is possible but 24 mph is nearly impossible and 23 mph is not possible.