1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruising at 40mph: stealth mode or lightly-loaded ICE?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by mdgates, Jul 21, 2013.

1. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Conditions often allow me to choose between moderate to high current draw in stealth mode, or a lightly loaded ICE (<1300 RPM). How much power do you find it's best to allow in stealth mode before you decide to give the throttle a slap and fire up the engine?

2. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I have gathered here, ultimately all the energy is derived from the engine.

Knowing that using electricity that has losses from conversion from gas to battery back to electric propulsion is less efficient than just gas to propulsion alone.

I vote fire up the engine!

Travis

3. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just try both ways to see which gives you better mpgs. Theoretically, the ICE is probably the way to go for a constant 40 mph on a perfectly flat stretch of road. Where I live there are constantly little hills, some traffic lights, etc and it will be better to use stealth whenever you can.

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keeping the battery full and using the engine is probably not the most efficient use of the car's energy. The Synergy firmware will keep the battery at whatever level it thinks is best, so you are going to be charging it regardless. Most of the charging energy will come from the regen systems. There is a lot of discussion about the cost of the regen energy, but it is the least expensive energy you have in the car. Toyota estimates that as much as 1/3 of the energy savings comes from the regen systems. The only real cost is in the extent that the engine runs just to charge the battery. By using the battery to extend your glides, you can use the regen energy most effciently.

firstrival likes this.
  5. firstrival

firstrival Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It all depends if there are cars behind you or not.

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too true. A lot of high mileage stuff does not lend itself to traffic.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    STEALTH is the way to go for constant 40 MPH cruising. That's the speed limit on a stretch of flat road through the city I live and have been driving my Prius on for the past almost 13 years. Doing that with the engine off has overwhelming proven the more efficient choice.

Of course, I'm no sure how you'd actually force the engine to stay on. It's remarkably easy to just allow the system to switch to electric-only then.

The catch is replenishing the battery afterward. In my case, the speed limit climbed to 45, so it was a no-brainer just letting the system do what it does best then... power split.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The gas engine fires up if you request more than about 15 hp. Below that power, it is better to use the battery. I believe this is why 46 mph stealth limit was chosen.

It is even better if you don't use the battery or gas engine and let it glide. Then use the gas engine to bring it up to speed. However, this is not possible if you need to cruise at 40 mph constant speed.

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's 46 mph...

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, fixed.

ztanos likes this.
  11. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Yes, the catch of replenishing the battery is what I took into account. You can't stay in stealth too long at a high current draw, and the next thing you know your battery is low, and the engine has to both charge the battery and maintain 40 mph. I've tried it and it works great at 30 mph on flat road, but 40 mph is too high and your battery will be run down in about 1-2 miles. Obviously it would be best to use both stealth and ICE (pulse and glide). Slight decline or more is great for staying in stealth at 40 mph for a long amount of time.... and you still need to use the electric motor to maintain 40 mph even on a slight decline.

If you are maintaining 40 mph on perfectly flat road, the car does not automatically go to stealth. I tried it myself yesterday after reading this thread. No need to force the engine to stay on. It is where it wants to be, without getting fancy with P&G.

12. mdgates

mdgates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been P&G'ing when conditions permit, trying to synch the P and G with the gentle rise and fall of the road. But it's too hard to tell for sure what works and what doesn't, especially when the MPG gauge doesn't take into account changes in your state of charge.

It sorta feels like 20A (about 1/2 of the EV part of the green bar) is the right cut-off point, above which I shouldn't try to stay in stealth. 20A is 3kW, which is probably about 3HP after you account for losses in the inverter and motor. That makes sense, because (according to a BSFC map I found on The Internet) the least amount of power the engine can economically produce is around 2.2BHP at 1300RPM.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Per the red operating line, engine has to make about 75 Nm (55lbs-ft) at 1,300 rpm. That's about 14 hp.

The idea to boost efficiency is to use the battery when ICE is not efficient, bringing out synergy. The energy for the battery usually come from regen brake that would be lost in a non-hybrid.