1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crunching noise from left rear tire.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ranoss, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ranoss

Ranoss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    SOLVED!

After getting new tires put on my 2010 prius I started hearing a sort of crunching sound coming from the left rear tire. The best way I can describe the noise is that is sounds like I am running over leaves or paper but it increases in frequency along with wheel rotation. I thought there was a sticker still stuck on the tire at first from the shop but I've looked it over and have yet to find anything that looks out of place. I also couldn't see anything odd when I looked up under the car, but I don't have a really great way to lift up the car at my house at the moment....

I should also mention that I am a very recent Prius owner/convert, so I may be missing something really obvious (it's much harder to fit my head under my Prius than it was with my old jeep!).

Have any of you had something like this happen to you? Any and all advice would be very appreciated, this forum is always my first place to sift through when I have any Prius related questions so a big thanks in advance!!

**Update** I think it may be wheel weights rubbing on the back of the brake, I think my best option would be to take it back to the shop and have them check it out to keep everything balanced

#1 Ranoss, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not something Prius-specific. It's something like a nail in the tire, a brake component rubbing, wheel bearing, something like that. Whatever it is, there's a chance it will destroy itself and cause a bigger problem if you keep driving, so have the wheel pulled and looked at. Should be pretty minor if it's caught early.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A rock lodged in the tread? You could run your hand over the tread, see if you feel anything. That move the car about 2 feet and repeat, to get the bit that was at the bottom.

Raytheeagle and Rebound like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, and all the best!(y)

Rebound likes this.
  5. Ranoss

Ranoss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for all the feed back!! I was able to jack the car up so I could rotate the tire and it turned out to be the wheel weights rubbing on the brakes. I am taking it back to the shop to have it rebalanced. I appreciate the help!

Rebound likes this.
  6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How in the heck could a tire shop do that? Looks like they spin balanced each tire on their machine and mounted the tires. Some newbie who doesn't know clearance areas for tires. ......for crying out loud. Please be sure to check entire area for damage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tell them to use adhesive weights, rather than clip on's, if that is causing the problem. Check all the clearances too! Wouldn't think things would be that close.