1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cruse control quirks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Apr 8, 2015.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and after decades of driving just 4-cylinder engines, I was quite surprised by the strength of CC engine braking in my dad's V-8 Jeep.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but low-compression motors (typical in most motor vehicle) is a very ineffective way to reduce/control speed on downgrades. That the Prius has regenerative braking is a big plus. Otherwise, you'd have to rely on the brakes, and that cooks your pads and brake fluid if it's long and steep enough.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not true. There are virtually NO really low compression engines in use anymore.
    Higher compression generally means better fuel efficiency.

If the engine has computer controlled valves, they can be manipulated to give even more engine braking when needed.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My bad. I'm not up on newer cars and trucks. Most cars (I'm used to) do not have "high-compression" motors like motorcycles. Most motorcycles have effective compression braking because you let off the throttle and you drop speed fast. My pickup truck and most cars I've driven coast (even manual transmission) when you let off the gas, they don't slow down that much.