1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Crystal Keep' Windshield Treatment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PatJenn, Sep 9, 2010.

1. PatJenn

PatJenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a 2009 Prius that I bought last year. When I bought it, the dealer told me that the windshield had some sort of special "crystal fusion" and that it needed to be treated periodically.
    He gave me something called "Crystal Keep" which is a clear liquid that you are supposed to squirt on the windshield and wipe off.
    I squirted the stuff on my windshield last weekend and now there are streaks on the windshield from where I wiped the stuff off. I used a regular paper towel.
    Has anyone ever heard of this stuff and why is my windshield streaking?
    Also, what is the stuff supposed to do?
    Pat Jennings
    Upper Peninsula

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crystal Fusion is an aftermarket windshield treatment that is suppose to add durabilty and water repelent properties to your windshield. I've never owned a vehicle with this treatment. But it seems to be marketed to behave much like a Rain-X treatment, with longer lasting benefits.

Even though the 2010 Prius V has a water repelent film applied to some of the side windows, on the 2009's I know of no Toyota Factory Crystal Fusion treatment. So this sounds like a dealer added aftermarket addition.

If it's anything like Rain-X, I wouldn't worry about any streaking. It will fade. Just google Crystal Fusion Windshield and you'll get plenty of marketing information about what the whole thing is suppose to be about.

But in general it seems to be a windshield water repelent treatment.

3. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it is anything like Rain-X it has to be wiped with clean rag very hard and the streaks will go away.

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been using Rain-X on both of my cars for YEARS (20+) and never had any problem with streaks. The technique that I have always used is to first wipe it off with a wet paper towel - followed by another (dry) paper towel.

5. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like another expensive dealer add-on that they pay $5 for and charge you $500. I imagine they want you to keep spraying more of this crap on as it is wearing off every time you use the wipers. Glass manufacturers having been working for years for a permanent glass treatment and nothing has worked yet. There are a number of spray on/wipe on glass treatments around, but none are perfect. They all have to be reapplied from time to time, and all have some sort of hazing/streaking problem. I know as I've tried them all.

6. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    True
    Not true.