1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CT 200h: first impressions from a production vehicle

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by MattD, Feb 27, 2011.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a chance to drive a production CT 200h late yesterday. Overall, this is a nice car. While it doesn't offer the MPG of the Prius, it does create a new class of entry level luxury with good MPG. But is it enough with the new crop of EVs and hybrids hitting the market?

One thing you notice immediately about the car is it sits low. The driver's seat position and panel are designed to give it a more "sporty" look and feel. The car sits nicely and the driver is clearly given a similar view out the front. I found the center console to be well designed, with clear markings and easy to reach and work controls.

The car feels a bit more snug than a Prius, but doesn't feel cramped. The rear seat is comfortable but not for three adults or tall individuals. The fit and finish of the materials are decidedly Lexus, with a firm and refined feel. The instrumentation is polished; it follows the elegance of other Lexus vehicles but isn't an icon of technology prominence as we are starting to see in some of the newer PHV and EV vehicles hitting the market.

As the car is based on a Prius powertrain, I was interested to see how the vehicles would compare. A few immediate differences become obvious. First, there are two EV mode designations on the car: one appears whenever the ICE isn't running, and the other when you force EV mode, within the limited range prescribed. The other are the software changes made to make the drive better, including braking. The brake transition from regenerative braking to regular brakes I felt was far more seamless. Likewise, the drive software had been tuned to provide better low end response. The sport/power modes seem more reminiscent of the Prius response. The drive feel though couldn't be more different. I found the steering and handling to be decidedly more performant; where the Prius would feel flighty the CT 200h felt strong and confident.

The standard sound system was nothing special; I imagine the premium sound system will be on par with other Lexus vehicles. Other amenities were as expected for a luxury class car.

Which brings me to options and pricing. This is an expensive Prius clone. Feature-wise, there isn't parity. The Prius V with the advanced technology package offers intelligent park assist, lane keep assist, and radar cruise control-- in addition to LED headlights. The highest trim of this vehicle offers the radar cruise control....if you can get it. As of this writing, they aren't being imported into this region. You will have to decide if the other performance tuning and interior appointments can make up for the missing features.

From a finance standpoint, these cars are being sold by dealers largely at MSRP. As of the time of this post, the opening money factor they are offering Tier 1 customers seems to generally be .0021, with a 36 month residual of 57% for 15k miles. The money factor isn't great but seems to follow TMCCs strategy from the Prius III intro. For comparison, the Insight offers comparable residuals but with a money factor that's almost half. You will need to decide if it is worth it!

As I have mentioned in my Volt review, I can't help but think how much more competitive this car would have been if it had been on the market sooner. It is a good car, but with new EV and hybrid competition coming soon, the price premium and options available seem a bit underwhelming. If you are a Lexus fan though, this is a good car and will clearly move you ahead on both the gas consumption and drive fronts.

3 people like this.
  2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So if you could swap your Prius V for the CT200h at no cost, would you?

3. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming I could get the equipment I'd want, yes.

4. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What equipment would you need to sway your decision?

5. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say the radar cruise control is most used in my advanced tech package-- so I'd say that is critical, along with Nav.

As for the thing that would push me-- a PHV CT that's like a Volt would move me in a second.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius Gen3 just came out last year, how could they bring it to market sooner? And what is the competition? I am not aware of any?

At least I dont consider hybrids in the class of their own, I see CT200h as Lexus premium hatchback that competes with 1 series and A3, not everything hybrid and EV on the market. So in my mind, it wouldnt be "i want EV/Hybrid so what can i get" but rather: "I want small premium car".

7. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it came out in June of 2009 in the U.S.

8. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review. I've been considering this vehicle.
    Did you get any sense that they would be in short supply?

Also - did you notice this car being quieter inside while driving, than the Prius?

9. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are indeed in short supply; the road noise and general fit and finish seem improved from a Prius.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worthy of the Lexus name? I recall a few bits of the HS that made me go "ugh". The pieces (I think they were plastic bits) felt more Toyota than Lexus in look and feel.

11. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I felt it was an improvement. Only one possible area is right near the glove box, there's a plastic plate that's small (a trim piece) that's a bit iffy but it doesn't stand out much.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perfect! Can't wait to see it in person! (I don't think they've arrived in Canada yet, could be wrong. I haven't driven by the Lexus dealership recently)

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If this is right, a plugin version and a more powerful version are coming soon.

14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I didn't see mentioned was what kind of mileage you got?

15. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mileage was around 38 mpg...

As for the PHV version, it isn't clear from the article if they mean after calendar year 2012, or for the 2012 model year:

" Lexus is considering a higher performance version of the CT200h as well as a plug-in hybrid version which will make its debut after 2012. "

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Non-Prius drivers that logic makes sense. For Prius drivers the fact that it is a hybrid and a Lexus is an upgrade as far as ride and handling are concerned. Particularly for Gen 2 drivers whose mileage is within 10% of the CT and are looking at future purchases. To those hundreds of thousands of drivers, they would be comparing the CT with the Prius v or the Prius 4 or 5.

And the longer you wait, then you are looking at the Prius c and PHV. Ah the choices......

17. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My main reason to consider this car is better ride with the same or better handling. Sounds like you were impressed with the handling, but how about the ride? Do those special dampers and the double wishbone make a difference?

18. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does ride better; I found the vehicle was more efficient at dealing with typical road bumps and cornered better.

19. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure where they'd put the extra battery. The cargo area on the ct200h seemed very small. (display model at the SF autoshow)

20. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well maybe the Lithium battery will be much smaller by then. And maybe they only use one EV pack.

As for more powerful, maybe they'll use the induction motor from the Tesla.

:eyebrows: